Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ads getting out of control again?

We're not that far gone as last time, but unrelated ads are cropping up: Kaspersky and Symantec ads, one at the bottom of the page, and one INSIDE the quick-reply box's border! You've noticed, haven't you?

I'm okay with laser-related ads, just don't let them take over the forum like last time... :D

Well we don't know how much c0ld has to bare with for monthly expenses so if he can gather more money with these ads I fully support him.

Maybe even the donations aren't enough...

True, that point did escape me when I wrote the above. If the laser-related and Google ads are not enough, than I support introducing the unrealted ads too, I was just a tad frustrated at seeing them all of a sudden...

My only comment is based entirely on a direct comparison with another well-known laser forum.

The forum I refer to (many of you know who I'm talking about) has no ads at all. Also, there is no downtime (as opposed to this forum being taken down for brief periods almost daily).

I can't say what Avery is paying for hosting, but it does seem to me that perhaps LPF is more of a cash cow to him than the other forum is to its admin. The admin on the other forum does occasionally ask for donations, but that's understandable since it takes money to make these things work at all. Does Avery really need all these ads AND the donations just to make this site work? No. If the other forum manages to get along with much less, then so could Avery. Does he have the right to try to make a profit? Yes. Are there too many ads here? It's getting to be a bit much IMO anyway. Really it's up to the individual.

EDITed: changed content, didn't want what I originally wrote to be misunderstood or have negative effects.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree with that one, EF. Which other forum? I can't think of a laser forum that operates on NEARLY the same scale as LPF. Look at the bottom of this forum, there are 1000+ people online, seemingly 24 hours a day. The highest ever online was 1600, and that was VERY recently.

It's also amazingly kind of cold to allow us to attach files and use his hosting for images and such, This is something which he doesn't have to do, but makes it a much nicer experience around here, but also make it MUCH more expensive to run the site.

Unless there's a laser forum I can't think of that's getting 1000+ visitors every single day, with the amount of bandwidth we're pulling, then I can certainly understand why cold needs ads and donations. This is the only site on the web where I don't block ads, for the simple reason that I love this site and want it to succeed.

I'm going to have to disagree with that one, EF. Which other forum? I can't think of a laser forum that operates on NEARLY the same scale as LPF. Look at the bottom of this forum, there are 1000+ people online, seemingly 24 hours a day. The highest ever online was 1600, and that was VERY recently.

It's also amazingly kind of cold to allow us to attach files and use his hosting for images and such, This is something which he doesn't have to do, but makes it a much nicer experience around here, but also make it MUCH more expensive to run the site.

Unless there's a laser forum I can't think of that's getting 1000+ visitors every single day, with the amount of bandwidth we're pulling, then I can certainly understand why cold needs ads and donations. This is the only site on the web where I don't block ads, for the simple reason that I love this site and want it to succeed.

That's the beauty of being human.. we all feel differently. The scale does need to be taken into account, but in terms of bandwidth this site is tiny compared to many other commercial sites. Also, c0ld is very much well within his rights to make a profit. I would never ask anyone to work for free since I don't myself.

Regardless, I did say that it is up to the individual. I have no ill feelings towards LPF at all, I like it here. I stated my opinion (clearly marked as such) and that's that. If you feel differently I respect your position..

Last edited:
What ads are you talking about...:whistle:

It's like ads on TV... your mind (over time) actually blocks
them out...

If c0ld can cover his costs AND make some extra money...
I say... Power to him...

LPF Donations is a personal thing and not an obligation..
so don't be obliged to donate...

I do.. once in a while... and it makes ME feel good...

Just my
2c.gif

Jerry

That's the beauty of being human.. we all feel differently. The scale does need to be taken into account, but in terms of bandwidth this site is tiny compared to many other commercial sites. Also, c0ld is very much well within his rights to make a profit. I would never ask anyone to work for free since I don't myself.

Regardless, I did say that it is up to the individual. I have no ill feelings towards LPF at all, I like it here. I stated my opinion (clearly marked as such) and that's that. If you feel differently I respect your position..

Wait, wait, wait, this is the internet! We can't have a civil discourse with a difference of opinion, respectfully agree to disagree, and go on our merry ways with dignity intact!! What kind of a forum do you think this is!?!?

What is this world coming to...

:eg:

Wait, wait, wait, this is the internet! We can't have a civil discourse with a difference of opinion, respectfully agree to disagree, and go on our merry ways with dignity intact!! What kind of a forum do you think this is!?!?

Dont get me started...:angel:

I think that you misunderstood EF last post...I think you agreeing to disagree

I agree, Hitlers. Time to FIGHT!