Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aconsen 200mw Green Laser

Well I ordered the Aconsen APG-04 200mw 532nm Laser from Susie /Standstone11 and had high hopes for it.

It arrived and while the package and Laser is in perfect condition, the Laser is totally unacceptable in it's lack of power.

It's only measuring an average of 86.12mw's and a very brief startup peak of 107.6mw's, I repeated these tests 3 times, makes no difference. :mad: :mad:

Here's a picture of the Laser

Attachments

• APG-4_200mw.jpg
    APG-4_200mw.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 723

Another Graph view;

Needless to say Susie /Standstone11 has email/PM.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Attachments

• APG200Graph.png
    APG200Graph.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 383
Guess there is still no "cheap" source for reliable green pointers. Looks a bit better than an ebayser though... Unless it dies in a few hours.

Yea with a crappy output I'm getting from it, I'm scared to run it any longer.....waiting for a reply before my next move.  :-/

I also just received 2 green modules from her.  The 10-20 mW is dead :(  The 40-50 mW module works fine and does put out 38 mW's (close to specs).  I'm hesitant to return the broke one because I only paid $14.20 for it.  Does anyone know what the shipping would be to return it to Honga Konga?

Change 1:  I looked up the postage and its $12.00 to ship a small envelope from the US to Hong Kong :(  So it doesn't make sense to pay the cost of the module to return it.  I would almost end up paying double for the same item and that's assuming the replacement works.  Thus the problems buying items from China.  I PM'd Susie and asked if she would send me a replacement for half off and I'll just throw away the broken one.  Oh Well...its worth a try.  Is anybody interested in buying a non-working 10-20 mW green module?

Change 2: Susie has responded...she is good about that :) I also want to say that the modules are well made and my non-working one may just be a fluke. The 40 mW module is a solidly constructed module and puts out a bright beam :)

Laser.jpg

well that seems quite disappointing, as well being good supporting evidence for the "you get what you pay for except wicked lasers" tip when it comes to buying lasers :(

run the test on the IR to see if it compensates for the rest of the output.

I would invest in putting an IR filter on there if this "advertised" 200mw had an IR output or 110+mw

The test I did is not sensitive to any particular wavelength, 532nm as well as 808nm would be accounted for in that output reading.

electron said:
The test I did is not sensitive to any particular wavelength, 532nm as well as 808nm would be accounted for in that output reading.

I'm curious. Can you get at the pot easily in those units ?

Docjohhn  :) :) :)

Hmm I'm not really sure, I haven't tried and I'm not going to open it up in anyway, which would void the warranty. You know the funny thing here now is Susie is trying to argue with me in email that that I'm only measuring (filtering out everything but 532nm) 532nm. She doesn't seem to understand it's a thermopile sensor, it measures the Sum of ALL wavelengths. Also Frankly it's SOLD as a 190mw - 200mw 532nm Laser, and that's just how can I say it, Bull :mad: :mad:

It's not a photo sensor set to a specific wavelength.

Cut or slice it up anyway she likes to, it's not putting out 200mw's of ANYTHING.

She wants me to send a picture of the non-functioning module. Funny thing is...it looks just like the functioning one ;) So I guess I'll send her a picture of it connected to a battery with no green coming out the end. Electron- I had gotten close to buying a 200 mW 532 from her as well. I'm curious because the picture of yours doesnt look like the "new" models she posted in the other thread. Was it a different model? Anyway, after hearing your experience I'm glad I waited. Sorry you had to be the first to leap...

DON'T buy from them, she has argued much with me now in many emails, tells me I'm using the wrong Meter and I should borrow the correct Meter and take a reading. That she is not going to argue with me about this now, she spoke with QC and it puts out 200mw plain and simple and that is all there is to it.

IF they truly don't understand how a Thermopile works, then they are in the WRONG business, However I'm sure that is NOT the case.

According to her then, my RPL-400 would show 2.5 WATTS on my Meter!

email statement To/From Coherent, posted with permission;

To Coherent Engineering;

Hello Ron,
I'm hoping you can help me with something.  As you know I have the
LabMax Meter, I'm having an issue with a Laser Vendor whereas the power
of their 532nm Laser is measuring less than Half of the rated output.

The reply I got back from their Engineer after sending them a screen
shot of the LabMax measurement showing it being measured, show a
supposedly 200mw Laser only measuring it at 80.2mw.

The Engineer tells me because in the screen shot I sent them I have the
Wavelength set to 532nm as shown on the LabMax screen-shot and they
don't use any IR filters on their Lasers, so they still believe the
Laser they sent me is putting out 200mw's with the included IR
808/1064nm .

I disagreed with that and told them I'm using a Thermopile Sensor and
regardless of the 532nm setting in LabView it would still show me the
sum of all wavelengths.

They are arguing no it won't, that my setting is only measuring 532nm
(filtering out all other wavelengths).

Can you please provide a further explanation of that setting?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 7:44 AM
Subject: Meter Readings

Hi Joe,

Using a thermopile sensor then your statement below is
correct.  The meter and sensor do not have any wavelength filtering. The
wavelength setting sets the response to the value that was programmed
into the sensor for that wavelength. If a range of wavelengths are
incident upon the sensor, the power reading will be a sum of the power
for all the wavelenghts. There will be a bit of error for the
wavelengths other than the set wavelength, but its on the order of 2-3%.

Ron

IgorT

Wow! What a ridiculous excuse!  :eek:

First of all, even IF the power of the laser was rated by IR + green, the IR diverges at a completelly different rate, coming from the laser. People say it's like a flashlight.. Not quite, but you get the picture. Even if they both came from the same point source, the lens would have to be an achromat, to collimate them both into the same beam.

People keep saying, that cheap greens are rated IR + green, or that IR has a big influence in the burning power of a cheap green laser, but that is not completelly true. And now manufacturers and/or sellers are using this as an excuse? Uncollimated IR doesn't help burn anything and it doesn't really add to the power. And if you measure from a distance, it is almost completelly eliminated from the measurement.

But i digress... Get that laser close to the thermopile - two inches or so, and there is NO WAY, that it would not pick up and display everything coming out of it in that approximate direction, including the warmth of the laser.

It's not like you're using an optical meter. And if you were to measure an unfiltered 80mW green on an optical meter, in the 532nm setting, it would show ~400mW. Not because there is 80mW of green and 320 of IR, but because the optical meter uses the multiplier for 532nm for both the green and the IR, and comes up with a number way too high.

So IF your meter was wavelength dependent, like they claim, it would much more likelly be showing too much, not too little.

The wavelength setting on a thermal meter like that is only meant to correct for small difference in the absorption rate of the coating, and to get the result even closer to the actual power, because no matter how good the coating, small differences will always remain. But they can't account for 60% of a laser's power!

And to proove the point, set the meter to 808 and 1064 and measure again.. The result won't be much different from what it is now.

Is this a seller on this forum?  :-?