Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

about to buy a nova X105...but.

Hello all,I am new here but I have lurked and learned much...maybe, Is there much chance that my X105 could be confiscated by the postal service? Also what do you guys think about the aluminum case for the X105 is it worth the extra money? Thanks in advance for any help.

xgeek

I say go for the case. You also will get points and a Nova members code for discounted future purchases.

Nova also have a delivery guarantee. If you laser does get confiscated they will send another and another until you get it.

I am in the UK and ordered my Alpha last Thursday and it arrived Monday with no issues.

Well it sounds unbeatable i am going to order it now. by the way may i have the discount code?

x105 is on its way! From what i understand ir is very low with this laser, should i get some ir glasses for normal use or would i have to do something stupid to damage my or someone else's eyes?

S

SenKat

You do not need IR goggles for this laser, but you DO need goggles to protect you from Green ! I hope you bought them at the same time to save on shipping.... :-/

SenKat said:
You do not need IR goggles for this laser, but you DO need goggles to protect you from Green ! I hope you bought them at the same time to save on shipping.... :-/
Greg:
I know you must have answered this before but here goes again. I ordered a DX True 30mw (if I ever receive it). I know you've stated many times that these have IR filters. Some members say they're not really that effective though. I have goggles for green lasers but NOT IR goggles. Am I OK with this set up? Is it dangerous to even look (not down the tube of course) at the beam if IR is present at DX levels? Thanks!

S

SenKat

No - there is VERY LITTLE danger present with IR in the DX lasers of 50mw or below....I have sent these little guys out all over the place to friends, etc...and have no qualms in doing so ! You do not need IR goggles for the DX 50mw or below....really ! :)

now - by DX, I am saying "New-wish" laser....if they have changed their stock, I do nto have any experience with teh other types they sell - only the New-wish lasers they sell, as well as that neat little 10mw greenie that uses a CR2 batt....that one is pretty nice :p

Greg

SenKat said:
No - there is VERY LITTLE danger present with IR in the DX lasers of 50mw or below....I have sent these little guys out all over the place to friends, etc...and have no qualms in doing so ! You do not need IR goggles for the DX 50mw or below....really ! :)

now - by DX, I am saying "New-wish" laser....if they have changed their stock, I do nto have any experience with teh other types they sell - only the New-wish lasers they sell, as well as that neat little 10mw greenie that uses a CR2 batt....that one is pretty nice :p

Greg
Thank you. That eases my mind.

after more reading i have decided to get glasses from nova. these lasers are no toy and i intend to treat it as i do my firearms..with much respect. Now i am worried about bystanders... is using it outside at night say in the night sky safe for those around me? Or should one this powerful only be used for experiments in the privacy of my cellar? I know a lot of my questions have been answered in other post but now with the x105 on order it is good to hear new input, thanks in advance for your patience.

LarryQ

I use mine almost exclusively for star pointing....

No problem no glasses reqd as the beam goes out...well forever...AND WHAT A NICE BEAM THE X-105 HAS!!!

Once on a moonless night...really dark...eyes nice and adjusted to the darkness....we did have a fluke thing happen.
I was pointing out a particular constallation to my wife..when I accidently lased a MOTH as it flew over us...it was about 10-15 feet over our heads..and did it light up!!!!

Looked like a GREEN FLASHBULB

But not enough to cause any damage....but if the moth had been wrapped in TINFOIL... ;D

Anyway..

Reflections off objects are the real danger... and the closer to the pointer..the greater the danger.
The lighter in color, or the shinier the object/surface being lased...the greater the danger.

Obviously directly aiming the beam at a person is a NONO...but even reflections (or splatter if you will) off dark objects up close are BRIGHT....

A window is also a danger...not all the light will pass through the glass....and even though only a small percentage will be reflected..it's enough to damage the eyes.

It's a lot like welding....
You either need to look away while someone is welding near you..or get youself eye protection.

Hope that helps

Larry

I will give this x105 a try and if it is too much laser for me then some fine person on this forum will get themselves a good deal.Having worked in the metal working industry a long time i have seen too many eye injury's, some really terrible and though the eye has marvelous healing ability's it can not be replaced.

LarryQ

It's not going to be too much...it just requires respect....

You can't wave it around like a 3 dollar red walmart special..that's all...

As long as you are always aware of where the buisness end is pointed ..you will be fine!

It's not a phaser....or a lightsaber....(I know...DAMN.... ;) )

Larry