Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

About 'IR leakage' from Dealextreme lasers?

z92

Hey. I just bought a 30 mw laser from Dealextreme...

Now... I just read that there is a 'IR leakage' in their lasers. What does that mean?

Is it dangerous even if I dont point it directly to my eye? I mean as long as I dont get it reflected by a mirror etc?

And what if it reflects from a long distance (like i stand 50 meters from a car's reflexes lighting at it.. my own car ofcourse! just to test it)...

And if it IS dangerous... Is there somehow I can get a IR filter that is safe? And how does an IR filter look like... is it the cap you can screw on and off? If thats not an option, I guess id have to buy IR protection glasses that costs just as much as the laser itself, right? :mad:

Many thanks,

z92

the IR leakage from a DX30 should be minimal
you should be fine, get goggles for the green wavelength tho

The IR is bad because it can hype up the mW rating. The danger is not the IR, its the green. 30mW is enough to mess you up with a direct hit (a reflection off a mirror is pretty much the same as a direct hit), so you may want to consider getting some goggles if you plan on using the laser for much more than starpointing. The lasershades from WL are pretty decent for the price. Good luck with that laser!

S

SenKat

There is no dangerous IR leakage/spillage, etc from the original DX New-wish style lasers 50mw or below...THAT I can say from personal experience. Are they the best lasers ? NOPE ! But they do the job - they put out green light, with minimal IR and are very inexpensive. TCO for a laser (Total cost of ownership) should include the laser, the batts, and the goggles - those are three very important items to have if you are going to own a laser ! Take a peek around the rest of hte forum at all the posts regarding the DX lasers, and you will see proof, and numbers :)

G !

z92

How much are googles that will fully protect me? :cool: Can't I buy a cap that filters the IR somewhere?? going around with googles in the middle of the night with a laser looks akward..

Id be pretty angry about paying the same amount for the googles as I paid for the laser.... :p

S

SenKat

Well, goggles from Wicked wil run you $39.99 plus $18.99 shipping...Check Nova's prices as well :)

G !

z92

rofl ;D thats alot of money for some shaded glasses...

I guess I'll just be SUPER CAREFULL...

oh wait - I was going to be anyway since I could easly accidentally hit someone in the eye...

So I should be fine as long as I dont get hit in the eye by the green right?

S

SenKat

Incidental reflections can be very bad - one wrong move, and you have earned your stupidity badge of honor-or shame rather....$0 is not bad if you have priced the cost of eye replacement surgery - to each their own, but since I rather like posting on this forum, I would like to be able to read mine, and others' posts without needing a text to speech program. 'Nuff said !

G !

z92

But if I just point at stars.... for starters? And then if I want to point at other stuff I'll get some googles?

Would that be safe? And I mean... if I point at something 50 - 100 meters away wont the beam be very less strong?