Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AAA dummy batteries: where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a PC-linked digital multimiter. Now I would measure the current of my flashlight and my laser while they are turned on.
Since they use 2xAAA and it's very difficult to reach the "+" of them, I thought that the perfect solution would be to put inside it 2xAAA dummy batteries and to put outside the 2xAAA real batteries in an external battery holder.
Does anyone know where I can buy the AAA dummy batteries?

I made my own out of a piece of garden cane with a brass screw pushed into one end  and a brass washer the other end, with wires soldered to them, one of which passes up throught the hollow cane....It works fine for the external supply I am using...

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
I made my own out of a piece of garden cane with a brass screw pushed into one end  and a brass washer the other end, with wires soldered to them, one of which passes up throught the hollow cane....It works fine for the external supply I am using...

Regards rog8811

Wow, very cool! :)
Can you please take a picture of it? (english is not my first language and I didn't understand exactly what you used...)

Here you go ;)

Attachments

• battery_spacer01.jpg
    battery_spacer01.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,322
ahah great! thanks!!
1 out of 3 is clarified now. :-X
My limited intelligence still doesn't understand what's that washer thing.. I understand the word "brass", the word "thick" and the word "washer" but I can't unify them and associate them to that thing represented in the picture! :)
I also saw in Google Image for "brass washer" but didn't help (many images of different things!)
I'm a total goat :)

Benm

A washer is basically a metal disk with a hole in it... fits around a bolt, usually underneath a nut ;)

Ahhhh! got it now! thankssssss for the enlightenment!

Wow, now I must say that rog8811 is an excellent craftsman! ;D
I doubt that I can realize it such a complex tool :eek:

Another idea I got from another forum:

"To make a stiff tube, you could take the shell of a ballpoint pen and run a wire inside it. The end of the wire would poke through the [flat] tail-end of the pen body to make the contact, and (before it was inserted into the pen) could be made into the right size contact by forming it into a flat spiral and then applying solder to give a flat disc on the end of the wire.

You could wrap the contact end of the pen with tape to make the end the right diameter for your tube to keep the contact centred, though many ballpoint pens are a similar diameter to AAA cells.

To keep the arrangement in the tube, and in contact with the spring, some wedges made of strips of cardboard, foam, etc could be placed in the tube at the open end of the tube, and you could also use use this arrangement to make the other contact - just have the stripped end of another piece of wire lying in the tube as you insert the wedges, and it would be pressed against the inside of the tube."

Note that a person says that wood can become conductive at high humidities

I am trying to make a dummy AAA by draining it and soldering the negative and positive ends together, but I'm stuck at draining the battery.

Is there any way to COMPLETELY drain an alkaline battery(Until it reads 0 volts across the negative and positive ends)??? I connected the positive and negative contacts with every piece of metal I have, but it keeps reading 1 volt on my multimeter! I thought it would short out and drain fairly quickly, wouldn't it?

Maaaaad necro, dude.
But since you dug it up, I'll answer with a possible solution.
Just get a nail, cut it to the length of an AAA battery, and wrap it in electrical tape but leave the top and bottom open for electrical conductivity.

Maaaaad necro, dude.
But since you dug it up, I'll answer with a possible solution.
Just get a nail, cut it to the length of an AAA battery, and wrap it in electrical tape but leave the top and bottom open for electrical conductivity.

Figured it was better than getting spanked for making a duplicate thread :p

Do you mean wrap the nail until it's as thick as an AAA? that would need a lot of tape, wouldn't it?
I kinda need it to fit snug in my host; it's a tad too big for AAA's to begin with, so anything smaller would bounce around a lot.

I am trying to make a dummy AAA by draining it and soldering the negative and positive ends together, but I'm stuck at draining the battery.

Is there any way to COMPLETELY drain an alkaline battery(Until it reads 0 volts across the negative and positive ends)??? I connected the positive and negative contacts with every piece of metal I have, but it keeps reading 1 volt on my multimeter! I thought it would short out and drain fairly quickly, wouldn't it?

:wtf: this thread is 5 years old...:eek:
You should get into the habit of reading the date of the
Last Post before posting...

That being said.... there are solutions in the original
Thread... as well as above.

You can also get a 3/8" bolt and cut it to a length of
1-3/4" (without the head of course).

Or a wooden dowel of the same dimensions covered
with aluminum foil..

Your Alkaline batter will never read 0 volts unless it
has a permanent short across it.

Jerry

Last edited:
:wtf: this thread is 5 years old...:eek:
You should get into the habit of reading the date of the
Last Post before posting...

But isn't necro at least better than creating a new thread if it's a similar topic??

Or should I just create a new thread if the existing one is 5 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.