Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AAA Battery Life with > 50+mW lasers ???

I like the idea of using standard off the shelf batteries for a laser, because I know that 10 or 20 years from now, I'll be able to find replacement batteries. I'm not so sure about the rechargeable batteries that have odd part numbers.

The question is for those who have lasers of 50mW or higher, what wattage do you have and how long do the batteries last?

Thanks,

Bob Diaz

Sorry but there is not enough info in the question. What batteries? Battery config? Kind of laser (direct diode vs DPSS)? Laser power?

And BTW, rechargeable batteries will only get more popular in the future, and will never be hard to find. 18650s are widely used for electronics. (laptop batts)

This is because the current trend is one of eco-friendliness. Reusable stuff will only get more common

-Matt

OK, I didn't realize there were so many variables. I'm looking at the 150mW laser and thinking of using standard Alkaline AAA batteries. I'm just trying to get a rough idea how long a set of batteries would last.

LP 515nm 532nm 1-150

Zeebit

At 150mw output, my estimate is that it will draw around 500mA from the batteries. Alkalines will be useless. They'll die in a few seconds. Use rechargeable batteries instead.

At 150mw output, my estimate is that it will draw around 500mA from the batteries. Alkalines will be useless. They'll die in a few seconds. Use rechargeable batteries instead.

nah thats not true why would they die in seconds? they last shorter then rechargables cause they give usually 1,5v v 1,2 only but useless they are not other then once they empty its throw them away only.

Zeebit

nah thats not true why would they die in seconds?
Its a bit of an exaggeration. They WILL die very soon than you think. Alkalines last long if they are used with light loads. Load them up and they lose capacity quickly.

they last shorter then rechargables cause they give usually 1,5v v 1,2 only but useless they are not other then once they empty its throw them away only.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding that. :thinking:

Last edited:

While this is an exageration Zeebit is correct. The flaw is in the OP's assumption that in many years, single-use batteries will be abundant and rechargeables will not be nearly as common. However, i am almost positive it will be the opposite.

:beer:
-Matt

While this is an exageration Zeebit is correct. The flaw is in the OP's assumption that in many years, single-use batteries will be abundant and rechargeables will not be nearly as common. However, i am almost positive it will be the opposite.

:beer:
-Matt

My assumption was a bit different than what you stated:

I like the idea of using standard off the shelf batteries for a laser, because I know that 10 or 20 years from now, I'll be able to find replacement batteries. I'm not so sure about the rechargeable batteries that have odd part numbers.

The standard AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V Batteries have been around for decades and are used everywhere in so many products. These can be single use OR rechargeable

Rechargeable batteries will still be around in 10 - 20 years, but because the technology is subject to change, the odd part number battery we see today may not exist in 10 to 20 years. The improved replacements may be a different size and or diameter. There's no law or standards organization forcing any company to maintain a given battery configuration for the future and as improved batteries come out, manufactures will change the product to fit the newer technology.

Over the years I've seen products from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s that are useless now because the battery that it used is no longer being made.

Different Issue, Battery Voltage:

The NiMH (nickel– metal hydride) AAA battery is about 1.2 volts compared to the 1.5 volts of the AAA Alkaline battery. I can only estimate the difference, but my best guess (calculation) is the a 150mW laser would be around 100mW with NiHM batteries. The NI-CAD AAA battery is also 1.2 volts.

Even if Alkaline batteries were outlawed in the future, the laser would still work, but would it would be at a lower power level.

I do have access to all sorts of electronics test equipment at the College where I work, so I'll test both NiMH and Alkaline under a load of 500mA to see what happens.

Thanks,

Bob Diaz