Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A140s inside M140s?

Hi all,

So I've been selling the diodes in the m140 (company who shall not be named) projector, as M140s, as would seem obvious. When I sold the sixth from last one the other day and the buyer recieved it, he claimed that the diode was in fact A140, and that there were 5 such diodes in every M140 projector, alongside the 17 M140 diodes. I have never heard of this and need to verify its accuracy for obvious reasons, so if someone with experience in these could reply, that would be good.

Thanks
DoctorEvil

Yea, that seems absolutely ridiculous. M140 projectors have M140 diodes...So aptly named due to the projector being called, "M140". I don't know what that guy is on about. The M140's have a little circle above the bar code on the back, so you could easily tell- however, he could easily show you pictures of A140's and claim they were in the projector he got, so theres no way to confirm this. Is he trying to get money back from you?

Plus if you consider the fact that c@$io just MIGHT know what they are doing, then it makes 0 sense that they would throw in some old, less efficient diodes in with the newer diodes.

DTR

Yes there are 5(6 in the old ones before they went to 23 diodes) A140 diodes and 18 M140 diodes in every M140 projector you will want to separate them and sell them as A140's to avoid issues like that which also means the cost of the M diodes goes up.:(
This is where they are located.
m140block.jpg

The H-series projectors are are similar with 10 of the 32 diodes are A140's.
8npc.jpg

Last edited:
Well ill be damned... Thanks DTR for confirming, I was thinking what the first guy said...

DTR

You can believe this with the methodical placement of the diodes they know exactly what they are doing and for them it makes perfect sense. There is either a cost reason or as we know the A140 has a slightly lower wavelength so it may be a color balancing reason or both but I guarantee there is a very specific reason.:beer:

I would assess it to be a way of making the display more pleasing.

I do recall the A's were less powerful than the M/H's? If so, it is likely that they place them on the side, and possibly even drive them a bit lower, to provide a subtle fade to the backdrop. Our eyes do not find sharp lines, especially with light, pleasing. Or natural looking. This could be their way of tricking the brain.

No clue, just an assumption. Though that is fascinating.

Last edited:
I would assess it to be a way of making the display more pleasing.

I do recall the A's were less powerful than the M/H's? If so, it is likely that they place them on the side, and possibly even drive them a bit lower, to provide a subtle fade to the backdrop. Our eyes do not find sharp lines, especially with light, pleasing. Or natural looking. This could be their way of tricking the brain.

No clue, just an assumption. Though that is fascinating.

Thats what i figured as well, so the image kind of fades out towards the edges, but very subtly.

DTR

I am not so sure from what I see the beams all converge on a diffraction grating for the pass through blue light or hit the phosphor wheel for the green ligh both of which seem to scatter the light like what you would get from a LED before going on to the DLP so I am not so sure there is a correlation to the outer diodes creating light that is toward the outside displayed image.

Last edited:

DTR

I sell them in modules with leads on eBay.;)