Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Proposition for Organization

IsaacT

Okay,

So like most all of you I am very excited about this new section of the forum. However, before we all start rushing in and making multiple threads covering similar data, I think we should decide how to organize this section of the board so it does not fall to disrepair.

In my opinion it would be a good idea to make several threads, each corresponding to a different type of host. For example, sleek hosts like the C6 would go in one thread, Maglite type hosts with the big heatsink-y heads could go in another, and custom built hosts could go in either a 3rd, or have seperate threads for each custom builder to show off his designs that are available. This would allow for easy navigation, and people could find hosts that they are interested in without having to wade through all the hosts they don't like.

Example:

I. Hosts Section of LPF
1. Maglite type Hosts​
2. Sleek Hosts​
3. Custom Hosts(and then you could link in the first post of this thread for...)​
a. Eghemus​
b. Sinner​
c. etc​

This way, people can easily find exactly what they are looking for.

Just a thought, if you have any suggestions, please post them so we can come up with a good system to keep this section of the forum the great resource that it can become. :)

Thanks,
Isaac

Last edited:

jakeGT

I think I would keep the sub sections a little bit broader. Like small, medium, and large hosts or maybe by price. Less than $25, less than $50, less than $10. Or you could even have hosts by price, by size, by custom builder, by level of difficulty, etc etc etc.

But I like the idea of a sticky for all hosts in one place.

IsaacT

Hmm....that reminds me of Automobile websites, where you have a filter so you can decide exactly what you want by inputting parameters....I think if we wanted something that sophisticated we would need an external site that could have a search bar on the side with checkboxes you can select to limit the results by price point, size, etc.

Definitely something to think about, but it might be best as far as threads go to come to a general consensus of what everyone thinks would be the best attribute to base the sorting off of and do them that way.

+rep for the idea of multiple parameters though, now we just hope somebody knows a lot about websites and wants to build it :p

Isaac

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
looking forward to the new section

if anyone thinks we should sticky any threads in this section, please PM me or a mod

going to sleep shortly but will be back tomorrow after work

take care guys
peace

Last edited:
I am very excited. I never thought my little idea would actually turn into a section in this huge laser society.

Finally, a place to talk about hosts.

Is it ok if I go ahead and open a discussion thread about favorite hosts? :)

About your idea: I think it's nice, but like Jake said, you need bigger, more general sub sections.
Just a wild thought: Eud divides his heatsinks by the front diameter of the host:
<25
<35
<45 (mm)
I think it's a pretty good division, hosts less than 25mm diameter are small, less than 35mm are medium and more than 35~45 are BIG.
If it's necessary, you can also add <16 for VERY small hosts.

However, that is just an idea from the top of my head, you don't have to agree with it, and you can also upgrade it or change it.
:D

Last edited:
I don't think a whole lot of organization is really needed, but an explanatory thread on hosts would help.

A kind of "What is a Host" type thread.

Specifically to newcomers who read the word "host" it's confusing, and leaves them wondering if they are supposed to invite one of us over for dinner to talk about lasers, or if we're hospitality nuts:p

Maybe just listing the most common types of hosts, the benefits, and downsides of each, and then allow the section to proceed from there.

The two most obvious categories are as you already listed, flashlight adaptations vs custom made.

Last edited:

sinner

I think IE's has a simple solution.. Just a single sticky thread on "What is a Host" would do..

No need for additional sections,

But when starting a new thread, formulate the Thread's title in this format:
[Size] [Type and number of batteries] [Cost] [Overall opinion] = Name

Example,
Large host - 2x 26650 - $40 - Excellent = Sabre

Or,
Small host - 1x 10440 - $10 - Good = Ultrafire C3

Overall thought should pretty much cover the easy of installation of laser setup into the host (something the original design wasn't meant to acomodate).

Through out the thread, generous pictures providing the details of it's inner construction would be great, along with instructions how did you install a particular setup, along with thoughts what do you reccomend, pros/cons, do's/don's, obligatory links to where the host can be bought, etc etc.

Note: Above syntax format is just an idea. If anybody's got a better one, it's be great.

Awesome a host section :wave: very nice people :beer:

And to make this section clear to everyone i would say that host seller put the hosts they sell in their own topic.

greetings,,

I like Eudaimonium's idea of just tagging title of the thread with the critical data of the host. They could use abbreviations, and we can have a glossary thread stickied at the top of the forum.

Maybe something like [Name] | [Host type length x diameter] | [Host dimensions] | [Batteries] | [Cost] | [Mods/heatsinks available]

Example:

Code:
MagLite | MAG | 12" x 2" (30.5 x 5cm) | 2-D | $10 USD | HS/Pill/Focus

Last edited:
I like Eudaimonium's idea of just tagging title of the thread with the critical data of the host. They could use abbreviations, and we can have a glossary thread stickied at the top of the forum.

Maybe something like [Name] | [Host type length x diameter] | [Host dimensions] | [Batteries] | [Cost] | [Mods/heatsinks available]

Example:

Code:
MagLite | MAG | 12" x 2" (30.5 x 5cm) | 2-D | $10 USD | HS/Pill/Focus
That sounds great, man!

We should create a Dictionary thread, which explains all the abbreviations used in thread titles, then.

IsaacT

I didn't mean for us to make a bunch of new sections, I meant just have three different compilation threads holding the details for all of the hosts of each style that way people don't have to scroll through pages and pages of threads.

However, I really like the idea of summing up everything about the host in the name of the thread.

Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was suggesting we make c0ldshadow give us three more additional forum sections, that would be a bit overkill(and a little rude).

Isaac

I didn't mean for us to make a bunch of new sections, I meant just have three different compilation threads holding the details for all of the hosts of each style that way people don't have to scroll through pages and pages of threads.

However, I really like the idea of summing up everything about the host in the name of the thread.

Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was suggesting we make c0ldshadow give us three more additional forum sections, that would be a bit overkill(and a little rude).

Isaac

I would like to add to this idea that if we are under the host section that all and new threads be about that host and the thread be like a wiki on the host only.

Measurments, battery types, modifications, places to buy, material effects,
Name of designer, Name of outlet.... No builds, No personal, build sales (links only), No i'm looking to buy one of these. Informational only!!!!!;)