Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Noob's most complex build thus far: Star Trek Green Phaser Mod!

When I first found JayRob's excellent phaser mod tutorials I knew I had to do one. His build instructions are excellent so I acquired through ebay both the proper Playmates brand Classic Star Trek Phaser ($29) & a 532nm 100mW (measures 82mW stable on my LPM) laser module complete with driver ($30) from China which took a few weeks.

When it was getting close to my needed surgery I acquired the last components I needed to do the build from Jayrob himself. His excellent heatsink perfect for the model and a replacement switch ($31 total).

A week after my surgery I was feeling well enough to take out my dremel tool kit, soldering outfit, & bed desk to start working on the build.

I didn't take pics of the build because all you need to do is look at Jayrob's great tutorial to see what I did so no need to repeat it.

Tutorial: Star Trek Phaser Mod! - Green...

I am just using the original 3 volt supply and I didn't add in the blue L.E.D. that he does on the back rotary switch.

Worked on it the past 3 days and just finished tonight.

Here are some pics of it phasing some things:

Firing side view:

Vaporizing a Kabuki on silk:

And a poor tree in the night:

I love it and altogether it was around $90 to make, not bad!

I have also put together another laser this week which consisted of one of DTR's very cool 405nm 700mW (450mA, G-2 Lens) modules in a Survival Laser stainless steel housing and am building another of the same housing but with DTR's new Oclaro 638nm 700mW module once the SL parts I need come in (no rush, Garoq recovering from more severe surgery himself). I put these up in another thread once both are completed.

Good job. What 532 module did you use? +1 :beer:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice Phaser build! It's always interesting to see what unique products are being used as hosts by our members. :beer:

Good job +1

Nice Star Trek Phaser, good job on the build. | \\// Live long and prosper. :>)

Thank you everyone. That's something I've always wanted (at least in some form) since I was a kid. This forum is extremely cool!

grainde, I used a 532nm module I got on eBay from China so I don't know the make but the claimed paramters (& a pic) are as follows:

Output Power 100mw
Wavelength 532nm
Working Voltage 3.0V-3.7V
Working Current <350 mA
Working Temperature +10 °C~+35°C
Duty Cycle 60 seconds on, 5 seconds off
Laser Shape DOT
Material and Color Brass
Dimensions 12×34mm(brass length)

sinner

This is a very nice phaser, havent seen one built as a first build. Good work +rep

Shadow ---
Good work. I machined my mountings but kept the original switch using a TIP120
transistor to drive a V5 for the Blue diode. It's good to see someone who can use tools
and build something to be proud of. I run a pair of 14500 Li cells in parallel to provide
about 2.5 Amps of current. +1 --- maybe 2....
HMike

Last edited:
Very cool, BUT be careful outside, I see you live in Los Angeles and someone might think it's a gun or worse yet, some cop might think it's a gun.

Bob Diaz

Thank you HMike & Bob!

Shadow ---
Good work. I machined my mountings but kept the original switch using a TIP120
transistor to drive a V5 for the Blue diode. It's good to see someone who can use tools
and build something to be proud of. I run a pair of 14500 Li cells in parallel to provide
about 2.5 Amps of current. +1 --- maybe 2....
HMike

HMike,

Very cool the way you made yours, especially the transistor so the original dome contact switch could still be used. I considered moving to a parallel set of 14500s (even acquired a pair of protected ones for it) but figured the two AAs could provide enough current to drive the 532 module for a while and wanted to keep it simple for my first go at this (especially trying to recover from surgery).

But those two 14500s wont go to waste because I'm still considering (as I put in my welcome thread) of making a Next Generation Phaser mod using one of the toy ones where I not only install a 700mW - 1W red laser (either a DTR module or Rick Trent one) but replace the display decals with some real displays like a laser time on timer, heatsink temp sensor, & and possibly a power output display (incorporating a multimode driver for the laser if available).

Bob,

You are absolutely correct & I am very careful. Before I took that outside pic I made sure of who was out there with me and hitting the tree was on purpose to limit who sees it. I don't point my lasers at the sky unless I'm outside LA or any city.

Shadow ---
I used the TIP120 because I didn't have any logic level mosfets.
I recommend them. You are correct that using a SS switch protects
the original switch (which is crap) but it works
I had to Dremmel the battery compartment to hold those larger cells.
Still in all -- with that rat's nest of wires in there, You did a good job.
HMike

I'm not a good beam shooter but here's mine. About 1.1 Watts.
Note the red light on the back, that is my "ARM" switch.
Heatsink, focusing assembly and plastic nozzle are made by me!!

9707-phaserblue.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool mod!

Rat's nest is perfect description of the wiring in those playmates phasers.