Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A new Linux OS that looks like Windows XP

YLMF OS
Try this link.
Google Translate

Ylmf OS detailed characteristics of System Enhancements:
1.) Integrated Wine emulator platform for your Linux can also run the Windows program;
2.) Integrated UNRAR decompression support, you can simply right-click the RAR compressed files;
3.) Integrated CompizConfig effects settings manager, almost all of the visual effects can be achieved;
4.) Integrated Chmsee gadget, you can directly view the CHM file;
5.) Integration "Open in Terminal" to help end the call, after all, Linux users, anytime and anywhere need to use the terminal.

HIMNL9

Now, we only need a version that is at least in English ..... :)whistle: ;))

You don't think that they would set it up for multiple lanuages? IDK...I am going to download it this week and give the live CD a try...just to find out. :)

Gata

The only thing that look's appealing to me is the integrated Wine. Linux that looks like XP is just doesn't seem like Linux to me.

LOL...I know:)
FYI: Confirmed that you can get it in English

There's also a guide on applying the patches and changes made to an Ubuntu distro in the forum section.

I just spent the last half an hour playing with Ubuntu Linux 9.10, it's certainly come on some way since I last used it! Shame you can't have an Ubuntu distro with all of the nonfree drivers and "dubious" (dvd playback, mp3) projects installed by default, that would make for the ultimate out-of-box experience. This is the first distro I've had which hasn't needed a single command-line tweak or "hack" applied to get it working perfectly (until I wanted to try out Songbird, that is). To be honest, the Windows XP theme doesn't add anything to the whole experience, the window manager and style with Ubuntu is impressive as it is, far better than XP.

Features I miss with Linux:
Mouse scroll wheel and short-cut keys (probably fixable)
Mouse gestures to resize windows (from 7)
Thumbnail previews (probably doable)
My games <-- Deal-breaker!
Easy networking of music and shares (Probably my fault, not the OS - I know it is possible)
iPhone Sync <--Deal-breaker

All of the stuff that you listed for features that you miss, can all be done....outside of your games....but even some games will work with Wine

iPhone sync can't be done with the newest iPhone FW as far as I know, but I may be wrong. I play games quite regularly, so until they're compatible I'm pretty much stuck on Windows 7 (it could be worse - Vista!). I could get media sharing and mouse gestures working, but there doesn't seem much point currently, since I'm moving to a new machine in a week or so.

ZRTMWA

How much RAM does it need? My RAM is way smaller than it should be and I had to download Puppy Linux for our old computer :(

How much ram does what need? I am guesing that you are talking about Ubuntu.
If so, I recomend at least 512MB, but in all honestly Ubuntu only requires 256MB of ram to run.

ZRTMWA

I'm talking about the OP. I downloaded openSUSE before relizing that it required more memory than I had available.