Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A new 445nm reaction that I doubt you've seen!

Well, I think I may have found a new reaction with my Arctic! Check it out, and here is the procedure if you would like to try it.
You will need:
-405nm pen
-455nm laser >500mW
-clear glass
-monster energy drink

un focus the 405nm pen FIRST and fan around the glass, note that there are NO waves in it. Then take the 455 set to infinity and shine it around being sure to let it have at least a second or two in the same spots. Now fan the 405nm through again, and you will see lots of odd little waves in the drink!

Here is a video of the reaction, enjoy!

Not having yet watched the still processing video but based upon your description I would guess that what you are witnessing is heat induced turbulence in the liquid. The 405 nm laser allows you to visualize it.

Looking forward to seeing the effect!

-Scott

Yes indeed. What you're looking at is a couple of things. 1. The 445 nm laser is heating up the Monster drink and doing two things: 1. It slightly alters the drink in the path of the laser (this is akin to cooking it) and 2. the heat of the laser is stirring things up a bit. The 405 nm laser illuminates these effects because the cooked (and therefore chemically altered liquid) doesn't fluoresce as effectively as the regular drink and so these altered areas show up as dark wavy lines (the waviness is caused by the turbulence). What you might want to do is to repeat the process only keep the liquid illuminated with the 405 nm as you pass the 445 nm through the liquid. It should be possible to observe the effects as they occur.

-Scott

Ash

That is very strange.
I'm going to have to try this with other berverages ths weekend. :beer:

Benm

It looks like a thermocline indeed. You can probably still drink it, i doubt its a chemical reaction responsible for this effect.

You could give it a shake/stir after the 445 illumination step and check that no waves are visible (since you remixed the warm and cold parts).

I must say i'm amazed that it works this easily though, there must be a lot of fluorescent stuff in that drink to absorb that much light in a few seconds.

HIMNL9

There's no risks in drinking it after having lased it .....

..... er .....

..... until the drink starts to climb up the glass, following your movements and trying to reach you, i mean .....

(j/k :p :D)