Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

a lot of questions to ask about m140(DTR pls come in)

First,im a newbie and i would like to build a high power 445nm laser!
the video i reffered is at here(im not going to follow exactly what the guy done in the video) :
How to build a cheap 1000mW+ blue laser - YouTube
the doide im going to buy is at here (im buying the $64 version) :
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

right now i've almost buy all of the parts and they're on the way now,expect safety goggle and laser diode,these two are the most expensive one and i 'll only buy them after i get answer from this post!
parts i buy and their urls:
heat sink :
Heat Sink Heatsink Cooling Mount Holder for 12mm laser modules
the heat sink i buy was not at there anymore,but it's a heat sink for 12mm module ,juz around like this

driver :
18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and also,im going to build a driver myself,im following athe video from here :
DIY: How to build a laser diode driver - YouTube

i've think about laser safety too,im planning to buy an eagle pair for myself :
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles
or
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-70627.html
the uvex goggle in this thread was cheap,and one of the user has tested it and proved it can block 445nm! does this goggle can be trusted?if can i'd rather buy this goggle as it's far more cheaper than eagle pair!

So as newbie,im making this post to ask questions:
for this laser,i think i won't have a host for it,as the heat sink is too big!so i may just stick all parts on the heatsink,just like the guy do in the video.

First,is about safety:
1. Im going to use this laser to burn stuff at really close range,so im going to stare at the blue dot at a very close range,not more than 1 meter.
1W < output of laser < 2W.
So,does the laser safety goggle from above can protect me well from the 445nm laser? bcoz it's very cheap and i can't afford higher that this !

Second it's about the DIY driver:
for the power source of driver,it doesn't mind for me to use 1x or 4x 18650 or use a ~19V laptop adapter! a microboost driver would be better,but a linear driver will be ok for me too.
1. what is the power rating of the resistor needed in the video?im buying the 1/4 W resistor,but i think it's too less,so i buy another,which is 1/2 W resistor.Does the driver suitable for this M-140 doide?im going to set the output at around 1.5A.(im not going to push the doide to 1.7A which is it's limit,for best life expectancy)

3.Does the driver board i buy(not the DIY driver) suitable with this m140 doide?it giving output of 1.25A,then what will be the output of the m140 diode?if it's not suitable,which driver should i buy,can give me the link?i dont want to buy the 1.5A moded driver from DTR because it require additional heatsink,i would want a driver that does not require heatsink,i don't mind if the driver is bigger,just don't be too big and it will be ok!

Now it's about the diode
1. what is the output power of the m140 doide sell by DTR($64 version)? is a 2W diode?
2. does the lens included(3 element glass lens) itself is a collimating lens,so i can juz use the lens that come with it,don't need to buy a new lens?
3. what's the resistance of the m140 diode from DTR?i would like to calculate the output power ! assume the resistance of diode is 1ohm,the output current of the driver from above link is 1.25 A,so does the output power will be(I^2)/R = 1.56W ?
4. does the module come with the m140 diode from DTR is 12mm module? if it's not im going to buy another heatsink.and also,im planning to buy a thermal grease and apply it in between the laser module and heat sink to ensure the heat will fully transfer to the heatsink!does this idea suitable?

Finally,some question that i hope can get a good answer from DTR :

1.do u ship ur m140 doide to malaysia?because im from malaysia and i would like to buy doide from you.and what's the estimated time for the doide to arrive?
2.do u test ur doide before shipping it?with appropriate driver of course!

i think that's all for now,if there's other question,i will ask in this thread,
thanks!
and sorry for my broken english!!

Last edited:

i do know the risk of 445 nm,i read it from here :
Blue Light Hazard
that's why i spend another $60 to buy eagle pairs,if not i could juz use the current cheap laser google i have and use the $60 to buy another laser diode!

First of all... what are you planning to use as a power supply? Is to going to be a battery operated hand held laser? If so, what are you planning to host it in and batteries are you going to use? or is it a benchtop Lab style job. We can't really advise on a driver until we know what you will be powering it with...

The module from DTR is 12mm aand the 3 element glass lens is fine... you just don't want to use an acrylic (plastic) lens as it will melt.

Right now,i don't have idea about laser host,i also don't need a laser host,because i can't carry it around here and there,as it's very dangerous,maybe i'll just stick it on the heat sink,just like the guy in video do!after all,i just want to burn stuff !!

About the power source,i may use 4x ultrafire 16850,or just a 90W ~16V 4.74A laptop adapter,depends

and about safety google,i just read a thread about cheap googles :
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-70627.html
the uvex google in this thread seems good,i also looked at the graph it provided,it seems like it can block up to 532nm,but not IR,if the quality can be trusted,that's mean all i need to do is buy the uvex google,and buy a IR filter and add it infront of my laser and i'll be safe from IR? will the laser melt the filter?

:crackup: I don't think a pair of safety Googles will help much!!!

But in fairness... he is in malaysia and he did apologise for his "broken" english!!!

lol...in malaysia,most of us(chinese) don't use "poor english",instead,we normally use the word "broken english"

Well, most drivers are rated to around 15V input, but the reason I asked was because with 1x 18650 you would need a buck driver where as 2 or more 18650 you could get away with a linear driver instead.

As for safety concerns with a hand held... All you have to do is be responsible, don't leave it laying around where other people can get it and you'd be just fine. I just built a single 18650 handheld using a m140 with the 1.5A microboost and 405-G-2 lens from DTR and it burns just fine...

As for the goggles... IR filters are more for IR diodes or for Colours which require to be IR pumped to get the desired wavelength (ie: 532nm green)

Well, most drivers are rated to around 15V input, but the reason I asked was because with 1x 18650 you would need a buck driver where as 2 or more 18650 you could get away with a linear driver instead.

As for safety concerns with a hand held... All you have to do is be responsible, don't leave it laying around where other people can get it and you'd be just fine. I just built a single 18650 handheld using a m140 with the 1.5A microboost and 405-G-2 lens from DTR and it burns just fine...

As for the goggles... IR filters are more for IR diodes or for Colours which require to be IR pumped to get the desired wavelength (ie: 532nm green)

i would like to use 1.5A microboost driver from DTR,but it's abit expensive ...... and it does require additional heatsink,i dont have source to get a small piece of aluminium!
if i dont use additional heatsink,what will happen to the driver when it's overheat?will it fail?after the driver fail,what will happen?will it just be an open circuit and stop supplying current to my diode?or i will act as short circuit and continuously supply current to my diode until it die?

DTR

As for the goggles...

Both linear and buck with a M140 will require two Li-Ions in sereis. Only a boost driver can use a single Li-Ion. As for safety glasses I would suggest these.
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

i would like to use 1.5A microboost driver from DTR,but it's abit expensive ...... and it does require additional heatsink,i dont have source to get a small piece of aluminium!
if i dont use additional heatsink,what will happen to the driver when it's overheat?will it fail?after the driver fail,what will happen?will it just be an open circuit and stop supplying current to my diode?or i will act as short circuit and continuously supply current to my diode until it die?

If you did not heatsink the driver will kick into thermal protection in 5-10 seconds. Just causing the unit to blink on and off. If you keep it on for a long time in this bouncing off the thermal protection mode I guess you could damage it but I think most people would get annoyed and turn it off long before that.:)

I can cut a small piece of copper for you to use as a heatsink and trust me... DTR's microboosts are worth the money... I have 2 m140's with the microboosts from DTR and I couldn't be happier with them. :) Cheers DTR btw :beer::bowdown: