Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A little project I've been working on...

After finishing up a thesis, I was finally able to complete this guy yesterday. This guy was taken with a .50 flintlock from about 50 yards last November in northern Quebec. Unfortunately it wasn't a clean kill but I managed to finish him off with a second shot from a .338 winnie... To add to the frustration, I lost my camera earlier that day so I wasn't able to get a trophy shot...

Please bear in mind that this is my first attempt at taxidermy (under the guidance of a friend). My skills still needs some refinement though so excuse the hack(ish) job.

For those who don't know what they're looking at, It's a Caribou(AKA reindeer in Europe)...

Attachments

• DSCN0036.JPG
    DSCN0036.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 69

daguin

Nice

Here ya go

caribo1.jpg
caribo2.jpg

Thanks Daguin, I meant to host them on photobucket but I got kinda lazy...

I just noticed that the positioning of the eyes makes it look kinda "droopy"...

daguin

NP

I forgot to mention, that I am jealous

Peace,
dave

daguin

;D ;D ;D
Yeah. I haven't seen even one of these here in Southern California ;)

Peace,
dave

Very nice job, especially for your first try! It is an art to make a good mount, I've watched my dad do a mount and it takes forever, there are so many things can go wrong! My dad does taxidermy as a side job, but he only works with whitetails, here is his site : www.lookalivetaxidermy.com

I wish we had caribou to shoot down here in Illinois. ;D

Does your dad use premade forms or does he make his own? I've always wanted to try making my own forms but my buddy doesn't have the equipment to do fibreglass...

I just realized after staring at it a bit more that I really screwed up the positioning of the eyes. I'll try re-tweaking it tomorrow, I'd hate to have a crosseyed caribou hanging in my room...

digital_blue said:
Does your dad use premade forms or does he make his own? I've always wanted to try making my own forms but my buddy doesn't have the equipment to do fibreglass...

I just realized after staring at it a bit more that I really screwed up the positioning of the eyes. I'll try re-tweaking it tomorrow, I'd hate to have a crosseyed caribou hanging in my room...
He uses pre made forms, I'm sure the pre made forms save a lot of time.