Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A delayed "Hi y'all" from Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada Eh?)

I've been here for a month now, and I totally forgot to post a hi-all thread! I just jumped into the forum because I had a lot I wanted to ask and never took the time to introduce myself :na:

My name is Dave. I'm a laser-holic. **Group says "Hi Dave"**

I've been playing/toying with lasers since I was about... 16 or so in High School. My first REAL laser experience was when I was around 13 though when a friend of mine's dad had a 650nm diode laser. The beam was like 6mm wide, and VERY dim. Maybe 2mw tops.

From there, I moved onto my own red pointers when my dad brought one home from work... It was a 650nm Red (<5mw) and it took off from there. My first greenie was an e-bay special when greenie's FIRST came out *the 5mw DPSS pointers* and paid like 60$ for it. It was love at first bright.

I've had TONNES of different e-bay pointers, and broken TONNES of e-bay pointers lol

I stopped playing with lasers for a while (5 years or so) and just recently started getting back into it. I have more money now then I did then, and so this time I can get into NICE lasers.
But to my shock and surprise, blue lasers are now more available than when I left lasers. Blue lasers were still 800$ for a 5mw pointer when I left the "game" but when I came back, 445nm 1-1.5W lasers are in handhelds.

WOW.

About myself - I'm a technology professional working for BlackBerry as one of their Principal Technical Instructors, focusing on the server side of things. I also have a certification in IT Network Security, as well as SQL 2000-2005-2008, and Exchange 2003.

I also attended university for Classical Piano, and am a part-time musician outside of my IT/Teaching job.

I have a rubik's cube obsession, and have MANY cubes of many different sizes. My 3x3 average is 18 seconds with a personal best of 9.97 seconds for a single solve.

I am a new homeowner, I love Honda (Have a Honda Civic 2010 Sport), and I like big TV's. I don't like eating vegetables but I do because they're good for you. I'm a closet psychologist, having read a few books on social psychology and have had a lot of friends lie on my couch. I'm a guitar hero expert, and have traveled through North America playing competitions and winning some of them. *Guitar Hero 3 mostly but I play them all. I prefer it to Rock Band lol*

Sooo...

That's a little about me :)

Last edited:

Very impressive CV :)

So let's see, lasers, music, Rubic's cube (damned thing... grr), electronics, games, cars.

If you tell me you like guns and flying an Ultralight trike, perhaps that means I invented a time machine at some point, somewhen.

I always wanted to visit Canada, also... :D

Very impressive CV :)

So let's see, lasers, music, Rubic's cube (damned thing... grr), electronics, games, cars.

If you tell me you like guns and flying an Ultralight trike, perhaps that means I invented a time machine at some point, somewhen.

I always wanted to visit Canada, also... :D

Well, I do like mountainbiking, and I LOVE airsoft (not real guns, but 6mm pretend guns) and paintball... Maybe that counts?

Hahaha Time machine huh? So maybe you're my great-great-great-great-great grand dad? lol

Well, I do like mountainbiking, and I LOVE airsoft (not real guns, but 6mm pretend guns) and paintball... Maybe that counts?

Hahaha Time machine huh? So maybe you're my great-great-great-great-great grand dad? lol
I do not like any physical activity except swimming and no, airsoft is too... soft :p So it does not count.

And no, I had different idea behind the joke, as if I came back in time to be "me" now , I started from "your" position, so eh... nevermind actually :D

OH!!! I gotcha ;-) That all makes sense hahaha

I've fired a .22 cal, does that count? lol

I used to have a lot of airsoft toys - My best was a 450fps (Feet, not frames nerds ;-)) AWP sniper rilfe with a nice 9x40 scope. It was VERY accurate up to almost 200 feet, bolt action. I loved it but had to sell it unfortunately.

The only thing I have left is a glock lookalike that is pump-based. 1 shot manual cocking, another VERY accurate but only around 250fps. It's nice though.

And yes, the .22 was a rifle :)

Airsoft are guns which have a CO2 compressed carnister which is used to propel the little pellets, right?

So what's the point of having that sniper rifle, or anything, bolt action ? It can shoot out pellets automatically by that principle of operation :)

Only if you were going for realism, and yeah I agree it should be bolt-action, but what's the practical gain?

Airsoft are guns which have a CO2 compressed carnister which is used to propel the little pellets, right?

So what's the point of having that sniper rifle, or anything, bolt action ? It can shoot out pellets automatically by that principle of operation :)

Only if you were going for realism, and yeah I agree it should be bolt-action, but what's the practical gain?

Ahh, the assumption is that all airsoft uses CO2 but that's not the case. Some of the semi-auto uses CO2 but I went with a spring-action instead. Less to worry about refilling.

Spring action only? Hmm, must be tougher to pull the bolt back on that thing, than on real gun, right?

Hah, reminded me, my dad said we'd go shooting sometime soon, on our artillery list there is a bolt-action rifle, not sure of brand, make, model or caliber but damn, looked almightly when I was cleaning it.

Don't knock all Spring Actions! You can get upwards of 1400fps with a good sporting Air Rifle(not a BB gun)