Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A couple cheap argons

daguin

frogger said:
This seller has a couple argons for sale VERY cheap, that is, if the bids don't go up any higher.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZelectroequipment
Not much details about what it includes, is it working etc, but hey, it could be an argon for under 50 bucks...

There are no PSU's associated with the units.  No mention of whether they will lase or not.  Just be ready.  These (like most unknown argons) are a hobby, not a guaranteed purchase.  I have bought more that don't lase without significant work and additional cost (some never will) than I have bought nice, working units.  Remember, these units are many THOUSANDS of dollars new.  There is usually a reason that they are being sold for a pittance (and usually being sold as "untested" and "as is")

FYI -- The mW ratings stickers mean very little in argon units.  Even the 4mW Uniphase units have the <.50 Watt sticker on them.  After all 4mW IS less than .50W isn't it?

I'm not saying don't get into argons.  I'm saying go into them with your eyes open and armed with the knowledge of the reality of used gas ion lasers.

Peace,
dave

[highlight]**EDIT**[/highlight] Oh yeah -- and be warned, they use a lott of electricity :eek:

they're definitely cheap enough, if they stay fairly low i might buy one just for the hell of it (already got burned once on an argon)

Argons are a crap shoot, unless they show a beam pic i wouldn't bid very high on 'em.

Some like the lasos units i sold a while back are glass tube units and are a PITA to pack so they make it. The nec 30-30s the guy has up have an exceptionally fragile tubes, while the spectra physic may have a ceramic or glass tube.

The uniphase cylindrical head is the best chance of the batch of making it physically intact, but most of those i bought off ebay were DOA at low pressure requiring the baking treatment.

I didn't think a 40MLA would go 0.50 WATTS !!! Maybe 40 mW.
I'd be careful here.

Mike

Yeah argons are an expencive addiction...

I, too, would wait for beam pics before I bought my first one.

Hey mike, my -40MLA does around 170mW at full blast :D :D :D It also has the .5W sticker though.

I also have a nice blue strobe light that looks like an argon laser. It flashes with every click of the starter ;D ;D

Gus -- Sorry to hear about your strobe light :-( Can't you make it keep a sustained arc?

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
Gus -- Sorry to hear about your strobe light :-(  Can't you make it keep a sustained arc?

Mike

Nope :(

I let it try to start for like 45 minutes one day and didn't get anything. There is a small chance that it could be the PSU I'm using, but I doubt it.

I think I may try Chris's oven technique, although I'm not quite sure of the specifics. I'm guessing just crank the hell out of the oven and throw the tube in there for an hour or two.

I don't have anything to lose!! :)

Things

Oh man, I SO WANT an argon laser, but he dont ship to AU :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Maybe one day we will move over there, but untill then it seems I am gonna be argon free :'(

I'm really tempted just to put a lowball bid in on one to see if its really gonna go for 25 bucks.

GooeyGus said:
I also have a nice blue strobe light that looks like an argon laser. It flashes with every click of the starter  ;D ;D

You do know you're blowing off a small chunk of the cathode with every click, right? :-/

i was tempted, but it's not worth getting screwed again since there was no working status for the lasers :(

daguin

MarioMaster said:
i was tempted, but it's not worth getting screwed again since there was no working status for the lasers :(

Used gas ion lasers are indeed a gamble.

Peace,
dave