Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A couple ? about NovaLaser

First of all, thanks to all of you for all the information in these forums. I stumbled across this forum after doing research about buying from WL.
You guys have changed that buying decision.
After looking over the comments here, I`ve decided to purchase either the X105 or Alpha 105 from NL. Is the Alpha worth the extra $ ?
I currently have the DX30. A little concerned about the "No IR filter".
With that, maybe you guys can answer a few questions about NL.
1. Does the NL website have a encrypted SSL checkout, it appears the whole checkout process is not.
2. Can the "Lightyears" credits be used on your current purchase or can it only be used on future purchases.
3. How are their shipping rates and times?
TIA for everyones help.

i've never bought directly from nova, my one nova product is second hand (though nova's customer service still happily helps me out), so i can't answer about the checkout process or LY points. as for X-series vs. alpha, the alpha is a bigger laser, better cooled, so it's duty cycle is like 200 seconds on and 20 off instead of the X-series's 100 on, 10 off, the alpha also has all the safety features - apeture shutter, safety dongles/keys, a 2 or 3 second delay from pressing the button to the beam appearing, etc. the delay itself would irritate me, so i'd probably never go for an alpha (the delay would be less irritating if it weren't for the fact the button must be held for the beam to stay on, like an X-series, instead of being press once for on and twice for off), but that's just me. you may like those safety features, or you may be willing to put up with them for the longer duty cycle, though. personally, the alpha isn't worth it for me, but whether it's worth it for you is something you have to decide :)

I agree with Marianne on her post above. But one thing about the DX30, it is actually IR filtered so you don't have to worry about that.

styropyro said:
I agree with Marianne on her post above. But one thing about the DX30, it is actually IR filtered so you don't have to worry about that.
It is filtered? Cool! Is this hit and miss (i.e. some do, some don`t?)
Any easy way I can check mine ? Thanks

as far as i'm aware, DX lasers are filtered, but say they aren't to cover themselves legally. however, the filters don't work very well on lasers above 50mW, so their 100/150/200mW lasers aren't worth it unless you don't care about a lot of IR being emitted.

Rhith

That and you can always buy an IR filter from somewhere like Nova Lasers and install it yourself.

LarryQ

DX Lasers...(the ones really made by Newwish) all have IR filters.

After taking them apart...I can say that I have confirmed they do have IR filters...as a matter of fact I have a flter sitting here on the desk that came out of a Newwish Greenie.

WHat I have found is that they use the same sized crystal matrix (and it's TINY!!!!!), and change out the Pump Diode.

Eventually they place a pump diode in there that over saturates the crystal matrix, and overwhelms the IR filter.

I believe this is why the <50Mw versions have decent IR numbers, while the higher mW versions spew more IR than green.

Just my observations..and My 2 cents....

LarryQ

ok i hate to say it but i do not believe anyone will ever damage their eyes in any major way with ir from a green laser. personal opinion its just so hard to see how it could be done.... id be more concerned that if there is no filter what else was cut back on (button quality anyone?). besides most DX lasers have ir filtering but the odd one does not or is insufficient so they say none do for legal reasons. so yeah i would consider build quality, beam specs and the amount of the wavelength of light u want that is being produced.

Re: IR and testing

Happy New Year to All!! I have checked on the IR from various lasers and found that the same little plastic card device used to check your TV remote will show that:
Ebazers are big on output of IR, however
TV remotes do about the same thing, with both, the IR spreads out after about 2 to 3.5 feet to where it is about like background IR in our environment at home anyway! I don't think most people run from the room when someone handles the TV remote! LOL

ngiapy

Re: IR and testing

heh scopeguy that was funny i was laughing when i pictured it in my mind :D