Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9mm diode in a sinner pen host w/ a pocket clip of course.

Recently some possibly binned 9mm diodes surfaced running about 465nm(+/-) this is not that diode(NDB7675). I ordered that diode and put in it another host. From said host I removed this module. I want to put that new diode in the sinner host but I thought I would use the(old 445) 9mm to experiment with. It doesn't have a case pin so I had to get creative.
the theme of this build:
measure
measure
measure
From what I remember from the last sinner build was it was a very tight fit. Without a case pin I had to solder the neg lead to a brass tab to insert between the host and the module. I used a dremmel to shave off the difference .016in.
9770-image.jpg

9772-image.jpg

The module: sort of an ugly photo, I cleaned it up abit before inserting. At first I used a solder blob for my positive battery contact. I tested it out with a bench power supply and it wasn't going to work. I removed the solder and put this copper pad down and it worked much better.
9771-image.jpg

Press it in!
there was a slight gap. to hold the module in solid I used some arctic silver thermal apoxy(oops I took a picture first) and ensured the tab made a tight connection. I always put an acrylic lens when fiddling so I don't dirty the G2 or the diode.
9773-image.jpg

Weld up the stainless pocket clip and volla!
9775-image.jpg

Output measures2553mW, Next to it is his little brother PLB520-B1
2X 10440 & 1 10440
The batteries have no problem with this setup regardless I keep duty cycles short. The copper body does dissipate the heat well and it fits well in my pocket.
9777-image.jpg

9776-image.jpg

It fits perfect in my pocket. great for astronomy club, of course when skies are clear of aircraft.

Thanks for looking everyone!
Jefferson

Awesome builds! I have two sinner pen hosts on the way so I will have to keep the no case pin fix in mind.

IsaacT

These look very steampunk! I love it, although I have lost too many diodes to Sinner hosts and I find it hard for me to invest in them. That said, I love the designs of them, and I miss my MS-SSW sometimes. +rep if I can.

Awesome builds! I have two sinner pen hosts on the way so I will have to keep the no case pin fix in mind.
I was thinking of just using the bare wire but I'm afraid it would shear the wire off or thin when pressed. a tab worked great. Best of luck with your future builds! Report back

These look very steampunk! I love it, although I have lost too many diodes to Sinner hosts and I find it hard for me to invest in them. That said, I love the designs of them, and I miss my MS-SSW sometimes. +rep if I can.

WBS, I agree. With sinner hosts its all or nothing. Did you have any luck extracting the module? I wonder if you could use a tubing cutter to cut close to the module then use a ban saw to cut a seam. Idk, I hope I don't have to take one out.

sinner

Awesome build Jeff, I like the pocket clip on the smaller one better.

@Wbs maybe its the perfect time to pull the trigger on the new ones, IIb's are so easy to build you might have a hard time killing a diode in that one :p JS. I'll post a build thread soon I just can't get much time lately to show off my new projects. Also a newer version of Cypreus Pens is in the pipeline.

Nice builds :)

Both 520nm and 445nm looks great. How are they doing on the LPM ? ..

I just want to know how these host take the heat. And what will be the duty-cycle on them ? ...

Thanks again for sharing +1 :beer:

Last time I put the 520 on the LPM it was doing about 141mW, since then I've put an Aixiz acrylic or 3element so it's less than that now.

The 9mm has an output of 2553mW. It's seems to dissipate heat well but I haven't pushed it. The challenge with this set up is surface contact where the brass tab is to the host.
I haven't determined a good duty cycle yet.

Ill report back on how long those efest 10440s last.

sinner

They have the same amount of copper 100g as the copperhead V5's so Im guessing 60s-80s should be easily possible.