Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9mm 445 from 1913

A friend of mine asked me to resurrect his old flashlight from 1913 and make a 445 laser.
here is what I did:

I use a 9mm 445 diode, thanks DTR.
a Xboost driver kindly range at 1.5A for a long life of the diode, thanks Clif and Lazereer.
a heatsink and focus, thanks Flaminpyro

4ij8ee.jpg

2yjr4ax.jpg

akewsx.jpg

acdblu.jpg

4famo.jpg

firstly, i isolated the switch with the heat shink tubing for the negative contact.

bv5e.jpg

the driver is extra heatsinked

1674m7o.jpg

in955d.jpg

b88bi9.jpg

the silicone wire is strictly solded between the switch and the driver

28gweba.jpg

xeq6wm.jpg

2rw5oau.jpg

here it goes.

rsfl36.jpg

71pm36.jpg

15pqwb4.jpg

1t1oo7.jpg

2r7271l.jpg

nice beamshot with a cotton bud :D

2dklikn.jpg

LPM 2300 MW

n53tc4.jpg

thanks for looking...

Wow. Great work there!!!

Some kind of aging on the aluminum heatsink would be great!

Seriously. Where he got that flashlight at? Pretty cool!!

Edit:
some aged laser labels would fit GREAT this host... Something like "prototype laser device" :crackup:
1913 is a bit soon for lasers to exist but anyways...

Last edited:
Love that look man sweet. Try not to heatsink the induction coil that could possible spell trouble.

Quote from forum member Le Quack:

I wouldn't recommend putting any heatsink material onto the inductor... by adding metal, you're changing the properties of the inductor, increasing or decreasing the inductance. It can change how efficiently the driver works.

That and you're basically causing heat to the heatsink anyway, but not in the manner you're thinking of; the losses of the heatsink metal are a lot higher than the ferrite core, so the metal will basically "induction heat" itself without contributing anything positive to your pill...

I could go into many others from past post.

Quote from forum member Le Quack:

I could go into many others from past post.

Thanks. But me thinks a copper heatsink that small should make no difference there... :thinking: considering its permeability is 6milimu smaller than vacuum (0.999994 versus 1).... I think it should be completely negligible... :thinking: (considering some materials permeability used in inductors are high as 50kilomu)
I may be wrong tho...

Last edited:
Thanks. But me thinks a copper heatsink that small should make no difference there... :thinking: considering its permeability is 6milimu smaller than vacuum (0.999994 versus 1).... I think it should be completely negligible... :thinking: (considering some materials permeability used in inductors are high as 50kilomu)
I may be wrong tho...

You could be right and it prolly will be ok, but the chunk is about as big as the inductor.:na:

DTR

Very nice build. Always love seeing these old school lights used as hosts.:beer:

thank you all of you

I didn't know I had to put a heatsink on the induction,I put a heatsink because it was too hot, that must be why I have only 1.5A instead of 1.9A max on the xboost

Great job! Those old hosts look fantastic and it looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into building it. Thanks for sharing +1 :beer:

Nice review, more pictures makes it all the better, great job on making this cool laser :gj: +4

Hey, nice build! Also a very efficient diode in my opinion! My 9mm at 2.4 amps was giving 2600mw :(

According to my calculations, of course, not accounting for the efficiency curve and whatnot, your diode at 2.3 amps should give out 3.5 watts!

This is, of course, probably not realistic, as i am leaving out many variables. I just did a quick amps to watts ratio and set the amps to 2.3.

Prob be more than 3 watts tho!

Good build!
:beer:
-Matt