Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

95mw from Dragonlasers - Damaged? **UPDATE**

Hello,

I bought a 95mw viper from Dragonlasers, and it arrived about 3 days ago. Today, I noticed that if I shoot the laser through a thin hole (like a almost closed door), there is a ring of light that shines on the door, even though the beam is going straight through the crack and not touching anything. When I rotate my laser, this 'circle' of light rotates also. There is supposed to be no light emitted EXCEPT that laser beam, correct? So is this a defect, should I return it? Also, when I shake it slightly, there is a very, very small rattling noise that is not the batteries...should there be absolutly no noise at all?

Thanks

-Omniwing

Re: 95mw from Dragonlasers - Damaged? Help please!

Try getting some pictures of this ring you are talking about so we can help you out. But try cleaning the lens, it might just be a tiny bit of dust on the lens (you would be surprised how fast dust build up).

From what I've seen, all "pointers" have some spill. With 95 mW, a little spill looks like a lot. Your lens may be dirty but my DL95 shows a little too -- You ought to see what the DX200 spills (DUMPS) !!

Mike

give us some pictures so we can be of more help
ur unlucky i have 2x 95mW vipers and theyre both great =]

Ok, I my digital camera cord is broke but I will get a new one tomorrow and take pictures of this. I really hope that its normal and not damaged, but I guess we will see.

I'll bump this up again when I do that.

Thanks

-Omni

Things

sounds like "scatter", every laser has it, and maybe that ones scatter is focused slightly?

*UPDATED PICS*

Greetings fellow laser enthusiasts,
Ok, I aquired the cable and have taken pictures!

This is me holding the laser next to the camera, firing it through a slit in my closet doors.
I am about 4-5 feet away.
NO part of the actual 'beam' is hitting the door. There is a magic the gathering card on the left knob for size reference.

beam.jpg

beam2.jpg

So, is this normal 'scatter', or is my laser defective? The thing that concerns me is the perfect circle on the outside.

Multiple opinions welcome..!!! So what do you guys think!

Things

looks like you have some mode hopping going on there, can you see the double beam near the door?

There is only a double ring, not a double beam - but I can see the double ring at a few inches from the door, yes.

-Omni

S

SenKat

It DOES actually look like there are two distinct beams firing right near the door - Zoom in really close..... I fixed your post so hte pics show up in it - use this tag when putting pics in your posts : (remove the spaces inbetween everything) [ IMG ] and [ /IMG ]

But - the double beam, double ring - that laser is not within specs, and should be returned IMO.

P

Placebo

What does it look like if you point it at a white non-glossy wall? Does removing the aperature cap make any difference? Does any of the pattern rotate as you unscrew the cap?

Lock the button down, (tape, zip tie, etc) and closely examine the beam lengthwise in a dark room. If you do determine a mode issue, try three consecutive 60 second on/off cycles looking for changes during or after. Include the results when you contact Dragon. This will expedite the "A" so you can "R" the "M" faster.

Dragon's process is quick and easy.

omniwing said:
There is only a double ring, not a double beam - but I can see the double ring at a few inches from the door, yes.

-Omni
Hi Omni,
I think the double beam everyone is seeing is probably just caused by camera shake or movement from a long exposure. Those rings should not be there at all and if the scatter pattern rotates as the laser is rotated, that's bad too.

It should be returned for repair/replacement.
This looks like a defect of some type in the lens.

Jack

I also see two beams. The main one and a very faint one above that.

There are not two beams, I had to put my shutter speed way down to get the dark exposure, so its just an effect.

The rings DO rotate as I rotate the laser...So I suppose its return time. Thank you for all the info and help

-Omni

What you're seeing is typical scatter. It's gunna be there on any laser you get, but I gotta say that it looks particularly bad in those images. It looks like the lens has been messed up somehow or needs some serious cleaning.

There is a higher order mode where you have a dot surrounded by a ring, but that's FAR different from what you're seeing.

Hey guys, guess what!

Randomly, without me messing with it at all, its doing something different now.
Now, there are no circles, but a VERY LONG "line" that comes out, and it rotates as I rotate the laser. It stretches a complete 180 degrees from the laser's opening.
First shot is in the closet like before, second shot is just me aiming it at the floor. The double beam effect is just from the slow shutter speed, its actually not 2 beams
Dear Mr. Moderator, I do not have permission to posts links or images yet.

line.jpg

line2.jpg

I've already emailed dragonlasers regarding a return, but I just thought I'd follow up with these pics. Any thoughts?

-Omniwing