Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

808nm Laser Toaster

Hello All!

I am new to the forum, and new to lasers in general.

I have a project due on Tuesday. The last component is my laser module.

I built a 2-axis CNC machine, and have the laser mounted above.

This is the laser I have:

AixiZ

The laser is meant to burn the bread. I can get the laser to a pretty sharp point, but it has a bright red dot, and does not burn. I am using an appropriate power supply, and I can see that it is on, it's just not doing anything.

If i wasn't already clear enough, this is due on Tuesday, so whatever suggestions you may have to make this work by Tuesday would be greatly appreciated. I cannot get a different laser. There isn't time.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Might there be a more constructive response? I have to get this to work by Tuesday (or not at all). I have watched many videos of people burning with this type of laser. Please help me.

Might there be a more constructive response? I have to get this to work by Tuesday (or not at all). I have watched many videos of people burning with this type of laser. Please help me.

I like your idea, however what you are trying to accomplish cannot be done with the laser you have installed.

First, lasers can burn only when the beam is focused to a small point, since a high power density is required to burn anything.
Secondly, 808nm is poorly absorbed by organic materials. Mostly, it is reflected or simply passes through. Skin, leaves, paper, etc. all are poor absorbers of near infrared light. This is apparent if you go outside at night and film with a camcorder in night mode. Plants and skin (even dark skin) will appear light in color as it reflects much of the light from the NIR LEDs (850nm-950nm or thereabouts) the camcorder uses to illuminate subjects.

I would suggest you use this to your advantage.
For example, you can redirect the aim of this experiment to demonstrate how different wavelengths of light have different characteristics and affect matter differently.

Violet or blue light has no problem being absorbed by organic material and will effectively burn the bread if there is enough power.
Do not expect, however, to efficiently make toast with a laser. It will be a long, arduous process unless you apply many Watts.

I hope this helps and good luck!

By the way, clicking the link provided alerts my antivirus. A trojan horse apparently wants to infect my computer. Aixiz's website must have some bugs.

Last edited:
Alright, we are getting somewhere now! So from what I gather, there is absolutely no way to burn toast with IR. So exciting. Also, Aixiz gives me warnings like 3/5 times that I visit it. They have some major issues.

So, it sounds like I need a Blue or Purple beam. Could you suggest one? Also, for anyone reading this, do you know of a laser supply place in the Bay Area? I am in contact with bayarealasers.com, but if there is a storefront that I can go to, that would be great.

Bayarealasers.com is garbage. I live in the bay area if you need something. I don't quite understand what you want though...
Alright, we are getting somewhere now! So from what I gather, there is absolutely no way to burn toast with IR. So exciting. Also, Aixiz gives me warnings like 3/5 times that I visit it. They have some major issues.

So, it sounds like I need a Blue or Purple beam. Could you suggest one? Also, for anyone reading this, do you know of a laser supply place in the Bay Area? I am in contact with bayarealasers.com, but if there is a storefront that I can go to, that would be great.

I need a laser that will burn bread. Any laser that will burn bread. From what RA_pierce said, it sounds like I need one that is in the Blue or Purple spectrum. I really would like this to work for my presentation Tuesday, so if you have something that might work, please let me know.

Trevor

Are you trying to make "standard" toast with a laser? Like you would get from a toaster?

-Trevor

I could sell you a laser that could burn a streak in the bread, but not one that can "toast" bread.

I want to make visible line drawings on bread. It just needs to make the toast darker when I power it on. Like drawing with a pen.

San Jose. I have a handheld laser that can do that. But if we meet up I may be able to mount a high powered 445 on you cnc. It sounds like a fun project!

Trevor

I want to make visible line drawings on bread. It just needs to make the toast darker when I power it on. Like drawing with a pen.

Ahhh ok. A regular toaster uses hundreds of watts to toast bread, so a modest <1W module was going to have a hard time.

You're still going to need serious power though, to do this at anything resembling a respectable speed.

I wish you all the best in your future omg-Jesus-on-toast hoxes. :D

-Trevor

You can contact Daguin on these forums (he is a moderator).
He may have some high power blue and violet diodes on hand.
I know he usually has some 1W 445nm diodes. He is located in CA so you might be able to get it in time. You will also need to consider a power source.

But you will need to implement the laser diode in a way that it is SAFE for a public demonstration (if that is something this project includes). The 1W 445nm diodes are Class IV products which means that it will cause serious injury if it is not used safely and it is a fire hazard. My recommendation is to enclose the device so that the least possible amount of light exits.

Also, just another idea to throw out, it might be easier to cook a piece of sandwich ham (or another animal - obviously raw meat may not be the best idea) than toast. Bread is not very dense or conductive and has an irregular surface that may make absorption of light difficult no matter what kind of laser you use.

I have tried toasting bread and bacon. By far, meat is far easier to "cook" with a laser. ;)

I love the community here. I will be on campus at SJSU if you would like to meet up sometime. Please send me a direct message with what this might cost. I have some money, but I am a college art student! I really would like this to work though.