Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

808nm 5000mW Diode Laser

Here's a quick video of an 808nm 5W system cooking some stuff.

[media width=500]http://www.youtube.com/v/hABB0O__ubA&rel=1[/media]

roSSco

I have an old power supply from my telecom days that puts out 4V @ 10A . Do you think I could power something like that?

Cool vid btw. ;)

Great vid FC !

Wouldn't want to get that thing near my skin... :eek: What kind of goggles did you wear to handle that much IR? It looks dangerous.

Cheers, CC

i'm surprised your camera blocks the IR so well, mine although filtered still shows IR if it's fairly bright

My camera is IR filtered but since 808nm is near IR you get some bleed. It shows much better than 1064nm for example.

That focused beam could lay waste to exposed flesh almost instantly. Fortunately, human tissues are laden with water so you would only get a nice 1st degree burn before you moved your hand out of the way.

The goggles I use are designed for near IR: http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_7_16&products_id=226

Thanks for the nice comments. I do enjoy making videos of lasers in operation. I probably should put together a standardized set of demonstration materials and zap them with each type of laser.

RoSSco: It's possible your PS could drive a diode but it all depends on the supply. A diode appears to a power supply as a short circuit so the power supply must be regulated so it doesn't freak and jump in voltage while dumping it's full current load in a massive spike. Off to diode heaven. Generally speaking, the higher the power of the laser diode the higher the input voltage. For example, the 50-200 W 1064nm YAGs will run diodes requiring 24 volts or so up to about 30 A.

disma

Every time I see your videos, Im impressed!
 :D
What kind of diode was this? was it one from snoctony?

Max

roSSco

FrothyChimp said:
RoSSco: It's possible your PS could drive a diode but it all depends on the supply. A diode appears to a power supply as a short circuit so the power supply must be regulated so it doesn't freak and jump in voltage while dumping it's full current load in a massive spike. Off to diode heaven. Generally speaking, the higher the power of the laser diode the higher the input voltage. For example, the 50-200 W 1064nm YAGs will run diodes requiring 24 volts or so up to about 30 A.

I would like to try some of the 3W LDs I've seen on ebay. ;)

diachi

if you left that on for 15 mins or so to warm up it would be really good

IR lasers can be a lot of fun - as long as you wear eye protection, of course. There's something spooky about seeing an object start to smoke and burst into flame for no apparent reason..... [smiley=evil.gif]