Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

800 mw red pointer

Hi all,

I am in Bangkok and bought two 800 mw red pointers. Since I am new to this technology I have no Idea if it is really 800 mw or not.

This is my plan : I have a 5mw green laser mounted on my rifle for hunting in wooden areas. I thought I could replace the diode and driver in that unit with one of the red ones I bought in Thaïland.

The red ones I bought are very bright and have a focusing ring on them. They burn black material ( like black bags or foam packing ). I have not worn glasses to try but I am very carefull not to look at the beam or the reflection.

Sorry for the poor english, I am french.

Do you think this could work ?

Hi all,

I am in Bangkok and bought two 800 mw red pointers. Since I am new to this technology I have no Idea if it is really 800 mw or not.

This is my plan : I have a 5mw green laser mounted on my rifle for hunting in wooden areas. I thought I could replace the diode and driver in that unit with one of the red ones I bought in Thaïland.

The red ones I bought are very bright and have a focusing ring on them. They burn black material ( like black bags or foam packing ). I have not worn glasses to try but I am very carefull not to look at the beam or the reflection.

Sorry for the poor english, I am french.

Do you think this could work ?

How much did you pay? If they are really +/- 800mW, they would have cost you more than 400$ each...

Last edited:
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Ok, I guess they cannot be 800 mw, but they are for sure alot more powerful than my 5 mw green laser.

Ok, I guess they cannot be 800 mw, but they are for sure alot more powerful than my 5 mw green laser.

Where'd you get your 5mW green laser pointer? If it's from eBay, it's probably more like 30mW.

Not sure I get you on this one my friend.
My objective is to have a brighter one for hunting. It may not be as advertised (too good to be true) but it is for sure a lot brighter than the green one.

The reason I registered to this forum is to get technical info. Ex : You cannot have a 800 mw laser running on a single cr123 battery, it would heat up and the battery would be depleted in minutes.....

Or at least a few questions and answers to re-orient me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

Add some pictures , we know if it's 200 mW red 650 nm or not

Blord

You could buy a brighter green laser. Green color is several magnitude brighter than red laser at the same power.

Your 800mW red pointer is in reality a 200-300 mW laser. Anything higher and you don't get a single mode ( nice round dot ) red laser anymore.

Thank you for this info.

I realize that I might be going the wrong way. From what I read on the forum, maybe I should try to find something like a 200mw green laser to get good performance in daylight situations.

I ultimatly want a rifle pointer (aimer) that is powerful. But it seems that I cannot buy more than 5 mw in Canada or US. So, I guess the solution is to build it?

I have good electric / electronic knowledge, but i am poor at building things in general. By reading some of the post's here, I see that a lot of you guy's are pretty advanced compared to me.

Could I replace the 5 mw green laser and driver board of the one I previously own with some new parts, or should I start from scratch ?

tinker, update your profile so we know where on the planet you live...

presuming you live on this planet. Then we can better help you navigate laws and customs and such.

While you might be able to see the spot in daylight, you're not going to be able to see the beam at any power. I'd keep the power down below 30mW at most if you want some sort of aiming assistance.