Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

700mW 532nm handheld anyone??

Check it out! This picture was not 'doctored' or 'faked' in any way, you can see the power meter is on the 1W scale, so you read the power using the top scale of numbers. I'll explain more about how I achieved this in a few minutes, but for now I gotta run and eat dinner.

Here's the picture for now:

000_0865.jpg

DAMN !@!! HOLY CRAP !! thats epic win !! Tell us how you did this !!
all i know is it has to do with a Ir diode ;D

Wesdaman14 said:
DAMN !@!! HOLY CRAP !! thats epic win !! Tell us how you did this !!
all i know is it has to do with a Ir diode  ;D

It's all green baby. I'll take another pic of the power reading with some laser safety glasses in front of it in a bit.

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=Wesdaman14 link=1226453521/0#1 date=1226453628]DAMN !@!! HOLY CRAP !! thats epic win !! Tell us how you did this !!
all i know is it has to do with a Ir diode ;D

It's all green baby. I'll take another pic of the power reading with some laser safety glasses in front of it in a bit.[/quote]
what i meant was you must of used a very high powered IR diode or a C-Mount or some sort.
But what battery's do the laser take ? PICS !! pls

Also: Dont shine the laser at this camera, the picture quality actually looks good lol !

is that your 375 gus ? dude thats one hellova peak or is that average [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

OK! More on how I did this.

When I originally got my Prometheus, I measured the current draw from the batteries and noticed that it was only around 1.1A and the power output dropped as the battery drained. This told me that while the driver IS a current regulated circuit, it is not regulating. A couple months after purchasing the laser, the crystal set became loose somehow and I had an 'elongated' dot but the power was all there. It was almost a rectangular output. I spent many hours re-aligning everything and I finally had it back to where it originally was, if not even a bit stronger. While I had everything apart I noticed that the driver is just a few of those 'AMC' current regulating chips strung together. Also I was able to measure the output of the IR diode which was around 1.1W without any optics or anything. Straight from the diode. Now the normal 'peak' for this laser with a full to the brim battery would be 500mW, but that didn't happen very often and the real peak was around 400mW.

So now I had the knowledge that it is in fact a current regulating driver and that it wasn't getting enough voltage for regulation. SO I deicded to do what anyone would do with a driver out of regulation, and I gave it more juice. I used two CR123A's instead of the single 18650. The current draw is now around 2A. Keep in mind that this is indeed the 2.5W diode, so in all likelihood 2A is probably just a hair over 2W, still under the rating for the diode.

The picture is the result of using two cr123a's instead of an 18650.

Do I recommend that someone with an RPL/prometheus does this? No. Will it void your warranty? Definitely. Is it badass? Hell yes!

The laser also warms up MUCH faster. It builds the same amount of heat in about 1 minute as it did with the 18650 in about 5 minutes so the duty cycle is much shorter. BUT... I dont really care about duty cycle. It's a pointer... I never have it on for more than a few seconds at a time anyway. Also keep in mind that I'm not going to run the laser like this all the time, but it is pretty cool to know that I can if I want to :D :D

Now you may ask "But GUS!!!! What are you going to do if you kill that diode?!?!" Well... that answer is pretty simple. I'm going to put in a 4W 808 and run it at the same levels that it is running at now. A 4W diode driven at 2W should last quite a while!

Cold? Tec?Crystal alignments?Stronger c-mount (although that probably would not do anything). I am pretty VERY sure theres no IR leaking out.

*EDIT*
More power... ;D You know Gus Dr. lava has some fairly small constant current drivers that can go past 5 amps!

--hydro15

Now you may ask "But GUS!!!! What are you going to do if you kill that diode?!?!" Well... that answer is pretty simple. I'm going to put in a 4W 808 and run it at the same levels that it is running at now. A 4W diode driven at 2W should last quite a while!

I think you should be more worried about killing the crystal set as opposed to the diode... Diodes are a simple drop in replacement for most lasers. On the other hand, crystals with the exact dimensions of the original laser are much harder to find...

I'm not too worried about the crystals (maybe I should be?) as they are pretty robust. I've pumped a crystal set from a crappy dx laser with a watt of 808 for a while with no ill effect. These seem much stronger, and maybe their efficiency speaks to their quality. I mean, I was getting peaks of a little over 500mW out of these crystals with only 1.1W of pumping power... That is pretty darn impressive. They crystals are also 'sealed' in their own housings (not open to air like cheaper pointers) so the chance of something being burned onto the surfaces of the crystals is also slim.

well you can still cook the coatings, but seeing as how you're not supplying that much pump power - i'd say you have one hell of a freak crystal set ;D