Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7-Watt Fiber Coupled 912nm - Help

Hello,
I just bought this ebay item
EM4 Model EM172 912nm 7 Watt fiber coupled Laser NEW - eBay (item 140366260326 end time Dec-18-09 18:25:01 PST)

Since I have some experience with 9mm diodes up to 2 Watt and with C-mount lasers up to 5 Watt, but have NO experience with TEC cooled or water cooled fiber coupled lasers, I was wonderinge if one of you more experienced guys can take a look at the specs (they are in the ebay pictures), and let me know what are the possibilities for cooling this diode.
Since I see specs for 25 degrees Celsius and 35 degrees Celsius, I assume some kind of active cooling is necessary to keep the diode at room temperature. I was wondering if these diodes can be cooled on both sides.
Has anyone tried to cool them with 2 large heatsinks and fans (cpu units) top and bottom ? would that be not enough? do I absolutely need TEC cooling? These are all the questions I have. The diode needs about 8.5 Amps for the full 7 W output after the fiber.
All the answers you will give me will be respected and of course if I need to I will buy the TEC cooler or the water cooler as you suggest.