Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x Lens

Sorry, first of all the search function did NOT turn up this .........more statement of an observation.

The last ime I harvested the diode out of the 6x sled the diode had a clear film over the diode's window.

upon looking closer the window with the film off appeared to be free of any glass.

I'm not the first to notice I'm sure , and will it be of fruit to leave the film off. Thank you in advanced.

daguin

The diode with the "plastic" over the lens is the red diode.  The violet diode is the one with the "ice cube" attached to its heat sink.

In any event, the "plastic" should be removed.  It will "age" quickly at the powers we drive these to.  It does not touch the diode window, so it is really not a problem removing it.  I just scrape it off with my fingernail.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
The diode with the "plastic" over the lens is the red diode.  The violet diode is the one with the "ice cube" attached to its heat sink.

In any event, the "plastic" should be removed.  It will "age" quickly at the powers we drive these to.  It does not touch the diode window, so it is really not a problem removing it.  I just scrape it off with my fingernail.

Peace,
dave
thanks for the reply Dave

But I'm closer than that at the diodes window there is a clear film that is "peelable" and onced peeled back will expose the diode windowless if that makes sence . Check it out if you haven't seen one take a look.

daguin

jander6442 said:
[quote author=daguin link=1235930274/0#1 date=1235931098]The diode with the "plastic" over the lens is the red diode.  The violet diode is the one with the "ice cube" attached to its heat sink.
Peace,
dave
thanks for the reply Dave
But I'm closer than that at the diodes window there is a clear film that is "peelable" and onced peeled back will expose the diode windowless if that makes sence . Check it out if you haven't seen one take a look.
[/quote]

I've just looked at six, 6X diodes.  None of them have plastic over the window.  ALL of them have a window attached inside the can.

Can you post a picture of the diode in question? Are you sure it's the violet diode?

6Xsled.jpg

6xdiodes.jpg

Peace,
dave

I'm positive I'm on my third one. Sent Jayrob one this weekend once at home today I'll post a pic. Oh......
wait I've since gone thru  them and discarded the film I'm sure it was there though.

Look at the red diode also it has this film I can see it in your post also Dave.

6xdiodes.jpg

Just "peel" this back to reveal no window behind? ::)

daguin

jander6442 said:
I'm positive I'm on my third one. Sent Jayrob one this weekend once at home today I'll post a pic. Oh......
wait I've since gone thru  them and discarded the film I'm sure it was there though.
Look at the red diode also it has this film I can see it in your post also Dave.
6xdiodes.jpg

There is no "film" over the end of the violet diode in that picture. There is a window inside the can.

I cannot say what you have seen. I can say that out of about 80 6X's that have gone through my hands, none of them have had "plastic" over the violet diode. All of them have had plastic over the red diodes. All of the violet diodes have had windows.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=jander6442 link=1235930274/0#4 date=1235990944]I'm positive I'm on my third one. Sent Jayrob one this weekend once at home today I'll post a pic. Oh......
6xdiodes.jpg

There is no "film" over the end of the violet diode in that picture.  There is a window inside the can.

I cannot say what you have seen.  I can say that out of about 80 6X's that have gone through my hands, none of them have had "plastic" over the violet diode.  All of them have had plastic over the red diodes.  All of the violet diodes have had windows.

Peace,
dave[/quote]Maybe it was just the reds in any event I have not heard anybody say that there is this " film " over any diode.
Sorry I was just puzzled.

daguin

jander6442 said:
Maybe it was just the reds in any event I have not heard anybody say that there is this " film " over any diode.

It has probably not been written about because not many people have seen it. Some of them simply fall off with handling and not that many have been through the community.

ANY "plastic" covering should be removed from the diode. At the powers we drive these to (well above their rated powers) the "plastic" will "age" very quickly. I had a couple of my early red ones built with the LCC, that I missed getting the plastic off of. They have both been back for "service" because the dot got all "fuzzy." I simply scraped off what remained of the plastic film and voila' a good dot again ;)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=jander6442 link=1235930274/0#6 date=1236002448]Maybe it was just the reds in any event I have not heard anybody say that there is this " film " over any diode.

It has probably not been written about because not many people have seen it.  Some of them simply fall off with handling and not that many have been through the community.  

ANY "plastic" covering should be removed from the diode.  At the powers we drive these to (well above their rated powers) the "plastic" will "age" very quickly.  I had a couple of my early red ones built with the LCC, that I missed getting the plastic off of.  They have both been back for "service" because the dot got all "fuzzy."  I simply scraped off what remained of the plastic film and voila'  a good dot again ;)

Peace,
dave
[/quote] Thanks Dave for the info and for not slamming my neewb type question I had to ask I felt it was my duty. :)