Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6D host. Battery help.

I was looking into a custom host that accepts 6 D batteries. Im planning on using a linear driver from jib77. What batteries should I get?

Wait, what?
It takes D-size cells, and ... six of them?

Jesus Christ man, it's not a host, it's a bazooka. Put a DIY bazooka-kit launcher into that thing.

You need a new definition into a host. A lot of variables, but primary rule of thumb is : Can be moved without forklift.

Jeez.

Toke

A maglite 6D weight something like 1.4Kg, I find it a bit excessive for a laser.

Anyway, if you go with just the regular alcaline D-cells you will get 9V which will dump a lot of heat in your linear driver. Rechargeable ones at 1.2V each will give you 7.2V, that is closer to what you need.

Kevlar

C batteries :whistle:

:D

ROFL-1.gif
Nice one.

Pretty much what Toke said but since you're using a linear driver, it would depends on which diode you plan to use.

You could also still use Li Ions with some spacers, might cut down on the weight.

Toke

Different people have different priorities when designing their lasers, the "Must be able to run all night" is a new one to me. :)

It might come in handy as a marker to find back to ones tent if out at night. :D

ETA:
With that kind of runtime you may want to consider active cooling as shown here. The downside, apart from added complication, is that it cannot be combined with having the laser waterproof. [/Shameless selfpromotion]

Last edited: