Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

660nm 300-350mw CW Re Laser Diode DIY

z4ibas

Hello,

I'm little new to lasers, I made few mistakes, so now I don't want to do them anymore. So I want to make red burning laser, I have LD driver with LM317. I want to buy 660nm 300-350mw CW Re Laser Diode DIY/Lab//TO18 5.6mm | eBay this laser diode, but will this laser burn things without additional items? I had strange open LD which needed focusing, because it shined like LED and I don't want to get the same.

Last edited:

ALL laser diodes need focusing if you want to burn stuff, at least at low mW like the one you have choosen. You cannot take a unfocused 300mW laser and burn with it, no matter what! Whats your grudge about when it comes to focusing a laser?! Buy the diode, throw it in a focusable Aixiz module with a 3 element glass lens and your laser will burn just fine. If you want to light stuff with a laser that focuses at infinity you will need much more power ie. a M140 (445nm) diode.

EDIT: You know that you must have a module with a lense that collimates the laser light right?! Just asking since your comment about: "I had strange open LD which needed focusing, because it shined like LED and I don't want to get the same". Did you expect that your LD would burn stuff without collimating/focus lens?

Here is an Aixiz module from Modwerx.
http://www.modwerx.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=11
The shop is from a member here on LPF, and the support, delivery time and all other is great. I would recommend buying both diode, housing and what else you need at modwerx (to save shipping from numerous places).

Best regards

Last edited:

jimdt7

But not everywhere people uses modules to burn things.

The purpose of the module is to be able
to attach a lens in front of the diode !
Otherwise you cant focus the diode !

Jim

Yes it is, and just to clarify - what you found there is the same principle as the Aixiz module I linked earlier. The one you found has better heatsinking, but a bigger total module diameter. You should find out which host you want to put that module in - host hold batteries, driver and the laser module with the actual laser diode in it.

Tbh I am starting to queation whether helping in this thread is actually a good idea... If there is any part of the above that you dont understand I suggest that you start to actually read through some of the brilliantly informative tutorials and basic principal threads!

Last edited:

z4ibas

So I can put my LD in this Focusable Laser Module Host/5.6mm Laser Diode Case w/h Lens/DIY Laser Host, connect driver and burn?

Uhhmm where are the hidden cameras?? :thinking:

Did you read my previous post? Yes...

Last edited:

z4ibas

Yes, but I can't understand everything. So I don't need focusable laser module host? Should I buy only colimating lens or aixiz module?

z4ibas

Is it truth or you just laughing from me? Do I need colimating lens?

P.S. I want to buy items which are only needed to burn, last time I bought IR laser ;D

Last edited:
I am surprised you did not read the description of that eBay module you found! NO I am not laughing at you and telling you lies, I am actually trying to help you! How old are you? And where are you from?

Please read the eBay description of the module you linked..!

z4ibas

I'm 17 years old, from Lithuania. I speak English not well :( So I need to buy LD and Focusable Laser Module Host only, right? Thank you for helping.

Yes and I really suggest that you read some tutorials and beginner threads in this forum, they can help you alot. I really hope that you take safety seriously when it comes to lasers. I am a bit worried that you learn by trial and error because this is something that can seriously damage your eyes, or even worse someone elses eyes!!

Please try to understand the basics of lasers by actually studying it for a bit. Use the SEARCH functionality here at LPF to find out more.

Good luck with it