Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

650nm diode driver? Need help!

Blord

It depends on the battery source what kind of a driver you need. One or two 3.7V li-ion battery or 12V adapter ?

sinner

since you are going to power it using two AA's i guess, for a lpc-815 3V source would not be sufficient. Go for 2x Lithium-ions 3.7V 16340 CR123A Rechargeable. and a linear driver!

Thanks a ton for the informative responses! I was planning on powering this diode with 4 AA's running through the driver. I am following a YouTube video tutorial embarrassingly enough and it said that 4 AA's would push 200 + watts out of the diode...is that accurate? I'm brand new to DIY lasers, and I don't know the difference between a "linear" and a "3V" driver. Does anyone suggest that I change my battery source? Regardless, I would still love a link to purchase a driver (and battery if needed) that would power this diode. Thanks.

GhostChrome's are pretty awesome. They're really really small! I'd recommend those. Especially price wise.

sinner

Thanks a ton for the informative responses! I was planning on powering this diode with 4 AA's running through the driver. I am following a YouTube video tutorial embarrassingly enough and it said that 4 AA's would push 200 + watts out of the diode...is that accurate? I'm brand new to DIY lasers, and I don't know the difference between a "linear" and a "3V" driver. Does anyone suggest that I change my battery source? Regardless, I would still love a link to purchase a driver (and battery if needed) that would power this diode. Thanks.

Running a laser with 4AA's and LM317 would not be efficient ,but it is possible, yes!
Linear voltage regulators we use here for laser diodes are quite simple and need very few components in order to drive a laser diode.
LM317 being the most common, but less efficient.
Other linear regulators that can also be used are LM1085/1084/1086 and LM1117 will also work same as LM317 and would be more efficient in your case 4x AA's.
Now why use lithium? It is totally upto you , its your diy so its your own design. Instead of using 4X cells, each 5cm long , u can use 2X lithium-ion CR123A or 16340's 800mAh RECHARGEABLE , and size 3.4cm long.
Buying rechargeable lithium's will save you money in the end and better still, they will work like forever!!
16340 batteries Fleabay

Last edited:

JTBA

I have the same laser diode and also have some questions about running it. I want run this off of 3aaa batteries or 1 or 2 cr123a batteries. I am very limited on space, and I can't use AA's because they won't fit well in the compact host I want to use. Also I am on a budget and I plan on using the lm317 driver, but I am unsure as to what resistor I should use. Could somebody tell me if these batteries will possibly work, and if so what should I use to drive the diode

I'm running mine off a 18650 using a x-drive running at 450mA if that helps ?