Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

650/660nm 200mW Transformable From Lazerer.com

Review of the 650nm 200mW Transformable From Lazerer.com

So for a little while now I've been meaning to post a review of the 650nm 200mW Transformable From Lazerer.com, which was sent to me for review and at a discount, but certainly not for free, so without further ado here you go:

Website and Product Presentation:

-The website it self is clean and responsive.
-There does seem to be somewhat of an issue with categorizations and sorting. I expect this will be corrected, but even as is, the site is user friendly.
-Description is sparse, but sufficiently detailed and accurate.
-There are four pictures of the laser on the site, all of them are genuine and accurate. There is no picture of the laser in shorter format.

Ordering and Delivery:

-Order Process is typical, create user account on website and proceed to checkout via paypal. Very standard, and exactly what I've come to expect.
-Laser was ordered on 07/24/11 and I received tracking information for it on 07/26/11.
-Package received on 08/05/11.

Packaging:

-Laser came in package with two other laser packages. (I ordered 4 lasers in total, there are already good reviews up for them except for the 100mW 532nm Mini which Lazerer will discontinue - I'll post a mini review on it at some point.)
-Outside of the package was a strong greenish paper, taped shut with clear tape.
-Inside the outer paper everything was wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap.
-Inside the bubble wrap were three laser boxes. Standard boxes used by all the vendors.

Laser Box Contents:

-As expected the box contained the laser, with wrist strap as well as two keys.

Finally the Laser:

-Standard transformable host design.
-Worked out of the box.
-Threading needed lubrication, but worked just fine.

Pros:

-Momentary on button.
-Two keys which are required to allow the laser to work.
-Focused to infinity when screwed all the way in.
-Heatsinking is adequate - ran it for 3 minutes at a time, many times, and would feel comfortable running it for longer.

BIG Pros:

-Laser is very Overspec - with peaks of ~290mW!!!
-Laser is very stable - in general putting out around 260mW throughout three minute runs.
-Works equally well off of 16340 and 18650 batteries.

Cons:

-Threading is rough - could use lubrication.
-Focusing mechanism is somewhat loose - I've added a little teflon tape to add tension.
-Button is very very light to the touch - much more so that any of the three same design lasers I own.

BIG Con:

-Driver is soldered directly to diode with three pins and is only supported by foam inserts this could lead to it being bent out of shape easily if the button is pressed too hard.

My Personal Overall Ratings:

8/10 For the website. (As comparison I consider LPF to be a 7 out of 10).
8/10 For product presentation on website.
9/10 For the order process.
9/10 For delivery process.
7/10 For packaging.

7.5/10 For the Laser itself. Updated per last post in thread:Update.

Overall impression:

It's a good laser, with a fair price. My overall experience with lazerer.com has been very satisfactory and exactly as expected. I feel comfortable recommending both the laser and the company, and hope that their service remains the same that it is now.

And now for an LPM Chart and some pictures;

34003d1313167163-650-660nm-200mw-transformable-lazerer-com-200mw-lazererdotcom-650nm-lpm-chart.jpg

2011-08-11030651Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030844Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030817Custom.jpg

2011-08-11031045Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030751Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030431Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030422Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030336Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030313Custom.jpg

2011-08-11030252Custom.jpg

In case anyone is interested here are a few more: 650nm 200mW Lazerer.com Transformable Pictures

Also attached are three LPM test runs. Two were done with 16340 batteries, and one with 18650 battery. Batteries were charged, but not freshly charged - sat around for about a week or so. Room temp was 72, and tests were done with the dot defocused to cover sensor, from a distance of 6 inches.

Attachments

• 650nm 200mW Lazererdotcom Tests.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 200mW Lazererdotcom 650nm LPM Chart.jpg
    200mW Lazererdotcom 650nm LPM Chart.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,379
Last edited:

:beer:Nice review!

maybe u could post some beamshots?
and BTW nice keyboard.

usefull in the night =]

:beer:
mark

^^^

Beamshots don't really come out that well... need long exposure for that ideally, and at the moment I'm limited only to my cell phone, but I'll try to get some.

If you take a look at my avatar - it should look exactly like the two red beams over on the right:D

Nice Review. This Company is so far pretty good.

If more reviews start popping up as good reviews and he makes the changes as he said then i will be recommending this company to members as a first recommandation for lower budget laser and put them above O-Like.

I owe you one.:beer:

^^^Thanks, I appreciate it. Took about half hour away from work, and when I get home I'll add lpm chart readouts:D

As companies go, I think lazerer.com is surpassing o-like very quickly and already surpassed o-like in one crucial offering.

They are willing to LPM your laser specifically before shipping for $2.

I remember offering Susie $10 to LPM my 400mW torch, first time I ordered, all I got was "we test all laser before ship" and an underspec laser.... If they had spent 3 minutes on a test it would have made them more money, saved them money, I would have had a working laser months earlier, and without any aggravation. I also lost out over $50 just on shipping!:mad:

So on my preference/recommendation list it's lazerer.com, o-like, and rayfoss last.

So far I haven't heard anything negative about lazerer.

Considering overall volume I expect that there will be problems at some point, and how those problems will be handled will be an indication to me.

The only policy I really hate, that all three companies have in common is that buyer pays return shipping. I can appreciate this to a degree as it prevents frivolous returns from buyer's remorse, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Nice review. I keep hearing good things about this company. I might have to buy this laser.

^^^Thanks:)

OP updated with LPM chart and three lpm readouts of two minute runs are also attached.

Nice review :beer:

And you are lucky with your laser very up-specifications, I hope mine too :rolleyes:

I have ordered one 200mW red, but with another host.

I hope will come soon :)

I haven't hit it again, but first time I LPMed the laser it hit 291mW. I'm definitely satisfied with it.

If the driver wasn't help to the diode by three pins only, and the button wasn't so light, I would consider it to be a perfect red. At it is, overall imo it's an 8.5/10.

Update:

I've used this laser quite a bit since getting it, and have noticed a quirk.

If a smaller battery (16340) is positioned down in the barrel, and the button is also facing down, it puts too much pressure on the driver.

The result is either the laser actually turns on without the button being touched or the button cannot be pressed.

Upon comparison I found that the contact in the tailcap is somewhat raised, and this is adding tension...

So overall I'm gonna have to downgrade this laser from an 8.5/10 to a 7. Having it turn on while putting in a battery and not pressing the button is not good...

That said, for the price, I still think it's a good option.

well for $45 this is probably the best laser for me to get into the hobby with. is is possible to add some support for the driver?

Update:

I've used this laser quite a bit since getting it, and have noticed a quirk.

If a smaller battery (16340) is positioned down in the barrel, and the button is also facing down, it puts too much pressure on the driver.

The result is either the laser actually turns on without the button being touched or the button cannot be pressed.

Upon comparison I found that the contact in the tailcap is somewhat raised, and this is adding tension...

So overall I'm gonna have to downgrade this laser from an 8.5/10 to a 7. Having it turn on while putting in a battery and not pressing the button is not good...

That said, for the price, I still think it's a good option.

These are the quirks I was talking about

Ahh... ok.

Well, I guess the easiest option would be to shorten the spring.

The other easy solution that requires not doing anything is using an unprotected 18650 battery - they are slightly shorter - or not turning the tailcap all the way in.

Personally I opted for just using it with the unprotected 18650 battery... which is why I didn't even notice it being a problem until much later.