Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - $214 (hitting 600mw) - Review

I agree. Although to be honest, I love the form factor... Shame diodes don't like heat.

I wouldn't be surprised if o-like is using the same diode in their two more expensive green lasers, but with a better heatsick and IR filter.

The beam is a thing of beauty at night. Dot on anything not pitch black, even from 20 feet away is uncomfortably bright.

I would like to get the diode into the 450mw IR Laser Host :)

This Host: http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=42

I stared at that exact page for quite a long time, but can't bring myself to break the $250 per laser barrier for now.

Besides, I like a laser with me sometimes, just in a pocket, and trust me, even this 400mw torch pushes the boundaries of pocket carry. For that one you would need to be the size of that grounds keeper from harry potter.

I actually ordered the 200mw green transformable from them last night for this exact reason.

mikzip

Don't think I'll be using fast shipping again. Registered airmail seems maybe a week slower. I also ordered one of the 400mw green torches. It arrived at post office yesterday, and I picked it up today.

Haven't had the chance to test the laser out yet. So far as I can tell from past reviews and other information, the only downside to this laser is the very short duty cycle. "Susie" recommended 30 seconds on, 1 minute off. Which is very very short imo. I would prefer a laser that can run safely for 1-3 minutes, but at the price I really can't complain. At 400mw heat is an issue from what little I understand about lasers.

-InfinitusEquitas

Is this information directly from Susie, on their website it was advertised at 100s on 60s off, i know that mine doesn't feel the slightest warm after 100s.

Is this information directly from Susie, on their website it was advertised at 100s on 60s off, i know that mine doesn't feel the slightest warm after 100s.

Actually just ran mine timed for 100 seconds exactly... Didn't feel warm at all. I mean it was kind of cool to begin with, but still, didn't notice anything weird.

The information came from a chat with Susie:

(12:44:26 AM) MSN i'm just somewhat concerned from reading up on forums it seems you had some issues with the 400mw green torch
(1:09:55 AM) laser there is no problem with 400mW green laser torch
(1:09:55 AM) laser it is ok
(1:10:43 AM) MSN what duty cycle should i stick to on it?
(1:11:02 AM) laser 30-50 secs on and 3-5 minutes off
(1:11:30 AM) MSN wow, very short, i guess that's the downside of that much power
(1:11:36 AM) MSN what about the 1.2w blue?
(1:11:53 AM) laser 1.2W blue laser is a little longer
(1:11:58 AM) laser it is better heatsink
(1:12:11 AM) laser but better turn on it within 1 minute
(1:12:20 AM) laser and 3 minutes off

I'm guessing she is sticking with super conservative duty cycles, which makes sense... When I asked her about the silver 50mw pen, she told me to stick to 30 seconds on, 3 minutes off. :eek: I have run other pen lasers for much much more than that... of similar design and power.

I was wondering if you could tell me, how's the burning power and visibility of the beam for your laser?

I mean with mine, in a well lit room, I can barely see the beam, and no beam at all in a bright sunlit room, or outside today, even on cloudy day.

I'm also kind of disappointed with the burning capabilities of this laser... barely lit a match after a lot of effort. A cheap $40 laser did it faster... barely scratched a cd case...

Add to that, the beam comes out a slight angle and it doesn't turn on every time... problem with tail cap i think.

Susie is sending me a new tail cap, but I suspect this laser may be under spec vs the one reviewed at the beginning of of this thread.

Can you please tell me how well yours performs? Hopefully my expectations were just too high.:confused:

-InfinitusEquitas

When I asked her about the silver 50mw pen, she told me to stick to 30 seconds on, 3 minutes off. :eek: I have run other pen lasers for much much more than that... of similar design and power.

I was wondering if you could tell me, how's the burning power and visibility of the beam for your laser?

I mean with mine, in a well lit room, I can barely see the beam, and no beam at all in a bright sunlit room, or outside today, even on cloudy day.

I'm also kind of disappointed with the burning capabilities of this laser... barely lit a match after a lot of effort. A cheap $40 laser did it faster... barely scratched a cd case...

Add to that, the beam comes out a slight angle and it doesn't turn on every time... problem with tail cap i think.

Susie is sending me a new tail cap, but I suspect this laser may be under spec vs the one reviewed at the beginning of of this thread.

Can you please tell me how well yours performs? Hopefully my expectations were just too high.:confused:

-InfinitusEquitas
Are you talking about the 50 mW green pen or the 400 mW tourch?

mikzip

Actually just ran mine timed for 100 seconds exactly... Didn't feel warm at all. I mean it was kind of cool to begin with, but still, didn't notice anything weird.

The information came from a chat with Susie:

(12:44:26 AM) MSN i'm just somewhat concerned from reading up on forums it seems you had some issues with the 400mw green torch
(1:09:55 AM) laser there is no problem with 400mW green laser torch
(1:09:55 AM) laser it is ok
(1:10:43 AM) MSN what duty cycle should i stick to on it?
(1:11:02 AM) laser 30-50 secs on and 3-5 minutes off
(1:11:30 AM) MSN wow, very short, i guess that's the downside of that much power
(1:11:36 AM) MSN what about the 1.2w blue?
(1:11:53 AM) laser 1.2W blue laser is a little longer
(1:11:58 AM) laser it is better heatsink
(1:12:11 AM) laser but better turn on it within 1 minute
(1:12:20 AM) laser and 3 minutes off

I'm guessing she is sticking with super conservative duty cycles, which makes sense... When I asked her about the silver 50mw pen, she told me to stick to 30 seconds on, 3 minutes off. :eek: I have run other pen lasers for much much more than that... of similar design and power.

-InfinitusEquitas

Mine has a very bright beam at night, and it is visibly at daytime under the right conditions, cloudy and foggy.
at close range it burns trough a CD case in 5-10s.
at 2 meter it takes about 45s.
I don't have l lpm yet but one are on its way, really hard to guess the real output without anything to compare it to. I only have tree 5mv (very overspec??) and it is clearly a lot brigther but again no known output

weeba2kv, I can totally relate to what you wrote..

I've been interested in lasers for quite some time and advanced the power slowly but surely. When I was looking for a new toy at an affordable price I found this nice forum and thread and went thru the whole out of stock / bad crystal cancellation deal. I finally got my unit yeasterday.

After some tests, I can see that my 200mw DX dilda burns better from a short distance and can terminate a black ballon at 6m when focused to infinity. This 400mw o-like one can't even do that from a shorter distance. I can also not see the beam at all in a lit area. And it barelly gets warm after one minute.

In addition to that I made a thermal power meter (due to lack of a proper one) and the temp output I get from both dilda and this one is virtually the same.

I have NO feeling that it's even close to spec.. Unless the water proofing has to be removed? I hope that some one can measure one from this batch.

DAST

Today I looked at o-like´s homepage again, and I did not find this pointer anymore...

weeba2kv, I can totally relate to what you wrote..

I've been interested in lasers for quite some time and advanced the power slowly but surely. When I was looking for a new toy at an affordable price I found this nice forum and thread and went thru the whole out of stock / bad crystal cancellation deal. I finally got my unit yeasterday.

After some tests, I can see that my 200mw DX dilda burns better from a short distance and can terminate a black ballon at 6m when focused to infinity. This 400mw o-like one can't even do that from a shorter distance. I can also not see the beam at all in a lit area. And it barelly gets warm after one minute.

In addition to that I made a thermal power meter (due to lack of a proper one) and the temp output I get from both dilda and this one is virtually the same.

I have NO feeling that it's even close to spec.. Unless the water proofing has to be removed? I hope that some one can measure one from this batch.

Did you fully charged the battery before using it?

Yep.

I have 5 18650 batteries in total. All are brand new since I had to get some new good ones that could drive my quite demanding Aurora flashlight. I've tested several fully charged ones, including the one that came with this laser and am positive that it's not the cause.

Did you focus it properly?

Because if so, than your report brings sad thoughts to my mind.

I also purchased one from this batch and am still waiting for it to come and I had high expectations.

Now I'm afraid I'm going to have a heck of a disappointment. If it can't burn and its beam is hardly seen, than what's the use of that laser?

Maybe that explains how come O-lkie 'suddenly' had a stock of 'good' laser immediately after they noticed us all that they had to cancel our orders due to low quality lasers?

Of couse I tried to focus it. It does burn but only at a shorter distance (+/- 1M) and not any faster than the red dilda. The only difference is that the hole in for instance a CD case gets a half mm bigger than with dilda. I would say that although divergence is fine over a large distance, the focusing is quite unprecise.

I may have been expecting too much reading about this miraculous 600W version.

I would like to point out that the beam isn't visible during the DAY or normal lighting. At night it's bright, like with any green laser. But I wouldn't call it thick like others described.

I may post some photos.

Well all i can say is after reading this that i'm getting sweaty hands and a heck of a disappointment.

DJNY

^ Don´t know your cam settings, but the laser doesn´t look dim to me.

You may send your laser to a LPF member next to you for power testing on a Laserpowermeter.

looks to dim to me i remember my 50mW kinda looking like that
1z23zht.jpg
and this is a true 50 mW laser with flash but ok the camera was near the beam but still rather impressive

Last edited: