Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"5mw" lasers that melt plastic bags....

Hi there!
I recently ordered one after the other from DX about five "true 5mw" green lasers, and so far 4 of them compared to the first one are at least 3 times brighter, and are able to melt black plastic bin bags from about 5mm above the lens. Has this happened to you at all, and is this normal?

I though these lasers were labled "true 5mw" because they are rated correctly.
That dosn't seem to be the case, cos I'm sure that they are not meant to be that powerfull.

I've tried to explain to ceratin people about the IR, they say to me, "well, I can't see anything!" they simply cannot understand the concept of there being a hazardous invisible light.

So I haven't been able to do anything with these because if I sell/give them to people who have no idea of the danger IR poses, I fear people will end up eye damaged because they don't understand the hazard. :(  

Any advice?

Cheers!

Razako

Sell them to people you don't like ;D
If you want an eye safe green laser you really can't beat the wickedlasers core. The dx true 5 lasers are often anything but 5mw. Usually something like 5-15mw of green mixed with 10+ mw of IR.

Just how many mw of IR is required to melt plastic-regardless of the brightness of the green light? I think more than 10?

Razako

freddle said:
Just how many mw of IR is required to melt plastic-regardless of the brightness of the green light? I think more than 10?
You need about 30-50mw to start melting thin plastics. That is why I said "usually" and 10+.

Ace82

I have my DX 5 in my pocket right now. :p It is a very good laser and is quite brighter then 5mW. Mine produces little heat and burns thin black plastic.

Wait, I thought 'true' meant there's no IR. D'oh, I suppose I made the connection when I saw that the true 30 had a filter.