Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mw laser burning tape?

okay so on Ebay i saw this item Newest Adjustable Focus Green Laser Pointer Pen Safety Key Battery Charger | eBay

It says "This laser pointer can be used for presentation, teaching indicator"
yet it also claims to burn through tape... Surely if it can burn through tape it should not be used for presentations, but its only 5mw. So is this worth buying? I want a laser to be able to atleast cut tape, but I want to spend the least I can.

Gun

I highly doubt this laser will burn tape, although it's probably overspec. Do your homework, make sure you understand laser safety.

Pman

Actually, it's very likely it will burn holes in electrical tape and potentially ligth a match as I have quite a few of these cheapos and paid less than that. The lowest I've gotten was 66mw and it will definately light a black or red match (just tried and confirmed).
No way to tell what mw you're going to get (and how much will be IR) though my strongest of this type was over 100mw.
Even a 66mw greenie is VERY bright on a match head and you WILL see spots without safety glasses so buyer beware. In my opinion, it's too bright for presentations.

I have one of the same units from the same seller; coming next week and will do some burn tests. That's if my goggles get here first. Don't have a LPM yet, so burning is all I can do. I'll post pics/vids.
:beer:

Both the 532nm and the 405nm came this evening. Just did a quick test and they both lit red matches(under 2 seconds) and burned through black paper. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Also you will need gasses to do any burning.

Last edited:
okay so on Ebay i saw this item Newest Adjustable Focus Green Laser Pointer Pen Safety Key Battery Charger | eBay

It says "This laser pointer can be used for presentation, teaching indicator"
yet it also claims to burn through tape... Surely if it can burn through tape it should not be used for presentations, but its only 5mw. So is this worth buying? I want a laser to be able to atleast cut tape, but I want to spend the least I can.
I would suggest that you first get yourself a pair of
appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses.
That Laser is specified by the seller to be <=1mW..
Don't believe it. It will no doubt be over 50mW as
stated above.

Remember.... If it can burn tape it can burn your
retina.
Better use Laser Eye protection before you need
to buy a white cane.

Jerry

Not a good day for me but here is a vid of the 532nm lighting a match.

The 405nm died at around 90 seconds total time; in increments of 20 sec on 2 min off. :scowl:

Last edited:

Gun

I've ordered THIS laser which is sort of similar to yours. There's a good chance it won't get through customs but if it does I'll be very happy :). What mW do you think this laser will be? Most likely overspec since it's a 405nm and it's from Ebay.

Last edited:
Well Daguin has a video up of a 35mw laser lighting a match, your guess is as good as mine. The 405nm was faster at burning things, no LPM so can't say to power. The 532nm does light up a room very brightly when pointed at the ceiling.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/what-if-i-don-t-have-lpm-82018.html

The 405 died but Dante has sent me an email saying to send back the unit for replacement.

It says <5mw on the tag, will customs let that through?

Would not cut tape, just made a small hole. :scowl:

Last edited: