Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mw green laser helpppppp!

cb19

WHAT CLASS IS A 5MW GREEN LASER? MINE SAYS lllb IS THIS RIGHT?

ALSO IS SHINING A LASER AT THE WALL AND LOOKING AT THE DOT DANGEROUS?

WHY YELLING?! ...

Yes I believe that rating of 3b is right, and if it's the right power (5mW) it isn't dangerous on the wall.

cb19

How do I know it is a 5mw laser? It says it is but how do you know that's true?

The only way you can know for sure is to measure it's power on a Laser Power Meter (LPM around here), or buy a laser that is guaranteed to be 5mW exactly from a reputable seller like laserglow.com

cb19

I also have a 5mw red laser and it's that as dangerous as my green laser?

Blord

Yes, 5mW red has the same power as 5mW green but the green is much more brighter.

Ablaze

never shine a 5mw laser at a moving vehicle, and airplane, or a police officer. Do not stare directly into the laser (short flashes are ok). If you do none of those things it is not dangerous.

A 5mw green laser appears brighter than a 5mw red laser. It is not actually brighter, but our eyes are more sensitive to green light. Class 3b applies to any laser 5mw or less, so yours is 3b.

Last edited:
never shine a 5mw laser at a moving vehicle, and airplane, or a police officer. Do not stare directly into the laser (short flashes are ok). If you do none of those things it is not dangerous.

A 5mw green laser appears brighter than a 5mw red laser. It is not actually brighter, but our eyes are more sensitive to green light. Class 3b applies to any laser 5mw or less, so yours is 3b.

Um no.. You should never look into any laser regardless of power.. whether it's 'safe' or not. Your eyeballs are only one set per customer.. Being ballsy isn't worth the risk.

cb19

No I'm talking about the "how far will a red laser light go" haha how far will one really go

Like how far you can throw it?

Someone already answered how far the light will go... across the room most likely if its a cheap one bought at a dollar store or radioshack., really depends on the exact output power, quality of optics, etc etc.

Ablaze

Now qume.. are you telling me you have never looked at those scanners at the supermarket?

A 5mw laser is dimmer than the sun in the sky, and the same logic applies: Don't stare into it... but personally, I'm not afraid to go outside on a sunny day for fear that I might get a bright flash from the sun.

cb19: some reds are better than others. A 5mw red's main use is to play with your cat.. and it will work well for that.

Last edited: