Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

>5mw  vs 30mw

BobW55

Being new to all of this, I am curious as to the difference in beam intensity you would see when comparing a >5mw to a 30mw beam. I am amazed at the power of just my >5mw unit.
I have even been able to light up some low clouds the other night.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i do not personally own anything more powerful than an 8mw which SenKat sent me. I am pretty sure the beam will be quite a bit brighter than a ~5mW laser. I dont know about 7 times brighter, but probably at least twice as bright.

S

SenKat

Re: >5mw  vs 30mw

It will be MUCH brighter - depending on the laser, of course...as long as it puts out a true 30mw, you can expect it to be a minimum of twice as bright !

For the laser to appear twice as bright - it has to be 4 times as powerful as the other laser...

So, if I am doing the math correct, it would appear roughly 2.5 times as bright as the 5mw one !

BobW55

Ok I made up my mind and ordered a DX 30mw. I can't pass it up based on what I have read here. I think it makes for a good second laser. Still can't bring myself sink $150+ for a higher end model yet. Kewl as it would be to have something to burn with. ::)

Bob

Re: >5mw  vs 30mw

I'm sure you'll be very happy upping to the 30mw from your current 5mw ;D ;D