Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

593.5nm pointers disappearing?

Checked the LaserGlow website and found this:

10067-rigel.png

It seems LaserGlow is only selling the <2mW version now. What do you all think?

-Alex

ARG

I think they stopped selling all pointers over 5mW.

Yep. They're selling off current stock, AND CNI isn't exporting pointers above 5mW anymore, AND CNI is ceasing production of all handhelds/pointers next year.

Yep. They're selling off current stock, AND CNI isn't exporting pointers above 5mW anymore, AND CNI is ceasing production of all handhelds/pointers next year.

I heard that yea. That means all 593.5/589 and the other rares ones we will never see in pointers anymore?

-Alex

Pretty much. I mean you'll see them come up for resale from current owners, but you won't see them for sale from retailers anymore, no. It also includes common DPSS wavelengths too, like 532nm. You should still be able to order modules and labbies from CNI and CNI retailers though.

Pretty much. I mean you'll see them come up for resale from current owners, but you won't see them for sale from retailers anymore, no. It also includes common DPSS wavelengths too, like 532nm. You should still be able to order modules and labbies from CNI and CNI retailers though.

That sucks, what a disappointment. We need someone on the forums to start making yellows now! :D

-Alex

kilter

Wait, seriously??? I better get a yellow before they're gone!

Things

Pointers are such a teeny tiny part of CNI's sales I'm surprised they sold them to begin with. So yes, get them while they last :p

3Pig

If the diode manufacturers are listening, we need a yellow diode. I mean they managed to pull off 520, how hard can it be :D

It's idiotic. These companies caved to the FDA, but their decision to do so will accomplish dick as far as reducing the availability of cheap, IIIb+ lasers. Last I checked, kids are buying 10 dollar lasers from ebay, they are not buying 300+ dollar lasers from LG or anywhere else, so what are CNI and LG's "restrictions" supposed to accomplish?

eta: What does a module from the CNI 593's look like, anyway? Are they anything (superficially) like the cheap 532 modules you can get on DX and whatnot? Easy or hard to install into an appropriately-sized host? Makes the "ban" even more idiotic, IMHO... because the only people building them will be the EXACT SAME ONES who would have just bought them, so what was the point?

Last edited:
Government is the enemy of the people in too many ways, often complete failures for what they were trying to stop, making what they are trying to stop happen more. This has been proven over and over again, government is a bad thing, they are also responsible for the worst wars we've ever had. While all of this is true, we still hope and depend on government to protect us! Crazy. Well, with exception, I don't. Anymore I see government as more of a threat than anything else. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
It's idiotic. These companies caved to the FDA, but their decision to do so will accomplish dick as far as reducing the availability of cheap, IIIb+ lasers. Last I checked, kids are buying 10 dollar lasers from ebay, they are not buying 300+ dollar lasers from LG or anywhere else, so what are CNI and LG's "restrictions" supposed to accomplish?

That's a very true statement. I mean there are plenty of people on LPF who are willing to get a yellow pointer, and getting rid of them seems silly. Now 593.5 pens will go for sale in the $400+ mark due to them being no longer produced!

-Alex

D

Deleted member 16589

man that stinks. and since the job i was suppose to get at the park fell through looks like I lost my chance to get 561nm :(. maybe one day I will buy one used.

Things

You're looking past the point guys, their main motivation for no longer producing them is they are probably at best 2% of their sales .. it's just not profitable for them to keep doing it. The fact pointers are also becoming increasingly illegal in many places is probably part of the reason why (including reduction of sales), but CNI is a business, they care about profit, not the tiny 2% of pointer sales.

Last edited:
You're looking past the point guys, their main motivation for no longer producing them is they are probably at best 2% of their sales .. it's just not profitable for them to keep doing it. The fact pointers are also becoming increasingly illegal in many places is probably part of the reason why (including reduction of sales), but CNI is a business, they care about profit, not the tiny 2% of pointer sales.

If that were the case, why don't the companies just say that directly? "We're sorry, but this is a business decision and our shareholders feel that our efforts are better directed at the scientific/laboratory/medical market." Why the restriction based on power, i.e. <5mW?

Because they're caving to the FDA and its waste-of-a-paycheck goons, that's why. I don't see why they need to, it's not as if FDA can ban them from doing business here - universities, medical facilities, and similar agencies would all pitch a fit. They can't ban CNI without banning others because it would violate things like the equal protection clause and whatnot. Lawsuits would be filed, FDA would have to cut into its budget to defend itself, and ultimately they would lose. It's a business decision to cave in that it's cheaper to cave than tell FDA to fuck itself, but it makes me glad I never supported CNI or LG by buying any of their products - they are cowards and deserve neither my respect nor my money.

FDA is basically a bully in this regard, they will talk tough and make threats to small entities such as individual people and small companies, but like all bullies they would turn tail and run if a company like CNI decided to fight any sort of "ban" FDA might try to impose.

Lurking FDA shitbags - instead of harassing laser users, how about regulating things that are actually dangerous, like dietary supplements and homeopathic woo bullshit? Dietary supplements' effects range from nothing to outright dangerous. Homeopathic quackery kills people by causing them to forgo medical treatment. "I wish you had come into our office a year ago, we might have done something about this. Unfortunately, you now have stage IV cancer and 3 months." You won't do it though, because those companies have money to fight you, and it would take some effort on your parts. You FDA trash are all worthless cowards.

Last edited:

Things

If that were the case, why don't the companies just say that directly? "We're sorry, but this is a business decision and our shareholders feel that our efforts are better directed at the scientific/laboratory/medical market." Why the restriction based on power, i.e. <5mW?

They're only selling <5mW pointers for the next few months, presumably to just move stock, after that they're stopping completely.

Last edited: