Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

589 Spartan =trusted member assistance!

I wouldnt recommend it either. Only one laser has ever been stopped and that went to Andrew in Oz, even though I dismantled it and split it into two packages...It would also be a shame to end up with a broken 589 if it were to get damaged when taking it apart. Are bare modules or lab parts allowed over there, perhaps you could go that route?:beer:

Edit: At Razakao I wouldnt try that either lol. I really wouldnt put them past checking and youd probably be accused of smuggling...:thinking:

Bare modules a just fine witch is why the best chance I have is in 2 pieces a module and a host that way even if it's stopped it's not a problem,

I am positive I could dismantle one carefully without any issues I just wish there was someone els as confident as me to do just this.

I'm also waiting on a reply from Jordan but if no go I am sure Hap could do this for me even via video conferencing so I can watch and assist with the operation!

Damn, this is the first I've heard of you losing your beautiful Kryton groove to Australian customs, that sucks big time! :yabbmad:
Yeah Jeff, I didn't post about it but that's what happened.
Also want to say that Grainde (Anthony) was an absolute gentleman and tried to help me as much as he could.

Hi yep I have spoken to Jason but he quoted me $2000 about a month ago even the module was similar price, There is no way I'm paying that for a 589 I might as well get a 488 diode for half that price.
Wow, their prices have gone up so much !
I wouldn't pay that much either and yes I would love a 488nm, in fact I had thought about it recently after I saw my 465nm...

:drool:

I think there are a couple of options available to you since you've reached out to me, but unfortunately I can't type out a huge amount of details at the moment as I'm at work. I'll get back with you guys soon when i have a keyboard at my fingers. :)

Well I had no idea it would be so difficult to find someone in the US willing to accept a $500 laser to play around with have a good try dismantleing it and then ship it to me,
All expenses paid for including the labor,

All I was after was a yes from a trustworthy member and couldn't find one, so I've decided to cancel the order and get a full refund,

I am going to pay a lot more and buy from EForce here in Australia, I'm still shocked though I would have accepted a yes I'll do it from any member and given DL there address,

So many members here on LPF and not one willing to help out another LPF member!

Thank you all!

diachi

Well I had no idea it would be so difficult to find someone in the US willing to accept a $500 laser to play around with have a good try dismantleing it and then ship it to me,

All I was after was a yes from a trustworthy member and couldn't find one, so I've decided to cancel the order and get a full refund,

I am going to pay a lot more and buy from EForce here in Australia, I'm still shocked though I would have accepted a yes I'll do it from any member and given DL there address,

Thank you all!

Could have maybe given it a couple more days ... Only a few people would likely be comfortable taking apart a $500 laser that belongs to someone else.

Razako

Thank you all!
People were probably afraid of ruining it and losing your investment. Nobody wants to be the guy who killed your $500 laser trying to take it apart. The other problem is a lack of experience with dissembling the DL spartan units. Nobody has done so to my knowledge, so it's not like there were any guides to follow. If you just wanted some guy to receive it, and reship to you with the laser hidden or something that would have been no problem.

Last edited:
People were probably afraid of ruining it and losing your investment. Nobody wants to be the guy who killed your $500 laser trying to take it apart. The other problem is a lack of experience with dissembling the DL spartan units. Nobody has done so to my knowledge, so it's not like there were any guides to follow. If you just wanted some guy to receive it, and reship to you with the laser hidden or something that would have been no problem.

Yea, way too much of a gamble. Nobody wants to help because nobody wants to become a liability of 500 cash should something go wrong.

I'm sure you'd get a ton of help if it was something that's commonly been done before, for example soldering a diode, repairing a host etc. In other words what you're asking is far from a small favor.

Indeed. I am only okay with being a "re-shipper", in other words receiving the laser from DL and then shipping it back to you. When it comes to opening up a DPSS 589 and having it shipped across the world without having any problems occur would most likely require an agreement between the two parties that if anything were to happen the middleman couldn't be blamed. You know how couriers treat those packages :(

-Alex

Last edited:
I sent many messages and said I won't hold anyone responsible if it's damaged,
Even Jordan wouldn't ship a module that wasn't from his store and just reshiping the laser hidden isn't good enough, Adam was waiting on me for a reply with a address or refund and I had to reply, Ulimatkaser was willing to dismantle it for me awesome but would not reshipp it to Australia witch means I would have needed a 4th party, and he never got back to me. It hasn't been refunded yet if someone can help!

Actually Adam decided if I wanted him to ship it to Australia he would but said it's a 50/50 chance it would be confiscated and he would not garentee delivery, Its more like a 80/20 it would be siezed, and without taking it apart it's just not worth the risk.

Last edited:
-label as led parts.

-make sure it does not ship with laser paperwork.

-declare the value to be under <$50.

-make sure your tail cap have a keylock and the audio jack plug!!(trade with other member if needed).

-no laser label sticker.

- and make sure remove the laser part from the dragon laser.( just avoid mention the golden word 'laser' at all cost).

cover one of the contact point with insulator.

those hassle will guarantee the laser to go through without playing lego with it.

or

pay double the price to get it from eforce for 100% risk free.( the 589nm and 561nm are the same cost).

my english is not that good so bear with me.

-label as led parts.

-make sure your tail cap have a keylock and the audio jack plug!!(trade with other member if needed).

-no laser label sticker.

- and make sure remove the laser part from the dragon laser.( just avoid mention the golden word 'laser' at all cost).

those hassle will guarantee the laser to go through without playing lego with it.

or

pay double the price to get it from eforce for 100% risk free.( the 589nm and 561nm are the same cost).

Probably good advice. Interesting name there. You from Australia?

-label as led parts.

-no laser label sticker.

or

There is still no guarantee, it's always at the customs officers discretion and even if it remotely looks like a laser, even though they actually look more like a telescope or telescopic sight and declared as telescopic parts it just takes a second to confiscate and it's left to me to prove it isn't. But with a module I would have no worries in the world, it's only illegal if its a portable laser pointer!

Thanks for your advice though!

Last edited:
I have a trial run on its way with a WL nano, let's see how tight our customs really are,

It was shipped with nothing indicating a laser, it was taped up with electrical tape to look like a tube that didn't want to scratch and thrown in a package with a few led flashlight parts, it's a low power blue ray shipped from the US. I would have done more to conceal it but I'm not the sender, I'm not really expecting to receive it so will be waiting a while!

I have a trial run on its way with a WL nano, let's see how tight our customs really are,

It was shipped with nothing indicating a laser, it was taped up with electrical tape to look like a tube that didn't want to scratch and thrown in a package with a few led flashlight parts, it's a low power blue ray shipped from the US. I would have done more to conceal it but I'm not the sender, I'm not really expecting to receive it so will be waiting a while!

Best of luck! :)

-Alex

I've been at work all day so I haven't been able to reply. I got your PM this morning. I'll send you her response when I get home in about an hour or two. Remember that some of us are on the other side of the planet. :) in fact if you have Skype or something of the like I can probably discuss it with you tomorrow morning my time. I have a few ideas. I just don't know how I feel about a $500 gamble.

Last edited: