Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

56mm m140 diode?

kaunak

Would it be possible to engineer an exact 10x scale m140 or other laser diode and have it still be a real laser diode? ie still emit coherent laser light at 445nm. I was thinking about how most laser diodes are either 3.8 or 5.6mm and if it would be possible to make one much larger. It would obviously be very interesting for different reasons including the fact that it would really let you see the normally very small parts of a laser diode in much better detail. It would be almost like a learning piece to study a real diode much easier because their usually small. It would also be interesting because it could emit 20w of highly focusable laser light visible for a long way almost like an advertising spotlight. I know this is just fun speculation and it will probably never happen but its interesting and fun to think about anyway :D

Things

Yes it's possible, but will it happen? No :p The beam would be huge.

Last edited:

kaunak

Yes it's possible, but will it happen? No :p The beam would be huge.

Yea I'm sure it will never happen because there is no real need for it. And yes the beam would be huge much bigger than a normal ~2mm dia laser beam were used to here :p It would really be more like a highly focusable blue flashlight on steroids lol. Thanks for the quick answer though :)

Last edited:
If the chip is scaled up, the doping gradient through the depletion region would result in a different diffusion current, and would in theory, result in a different Vf across the junction when forward biased. The current density would need to be scaled up as well, so the current supplied would become some 10X larger. But as far as the emitter region, the increased surface area of the facet active region would be ridiculously huge. The that came out would have absolutely terrible coherence, monochromacity, and I'm fairly certain the divergence would not be manageable... like at all.

You would have to account for the RANGE of possible divergent beams exciting from each each edge of the facet. It would be more like a highly directional LED. I think the actual "lasing" condition would be difficult to maintain in a region so large - you might be better off pumping the die would another laser instead.

The diode would be able to take a huge beating of current before failing by COD. Heat dissipation would be a pain.

Just some speculation - thinking out loud a bit.