Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

561nm project box laser(Done)

Razako

Just tested this thing out. All I can say is the camera REALLY gets the color wrong. To my eyes the spot looks like yellow with a hint of green. The camera just shows it as green for some reason. Now to see how well my jerry rigged RPL host works out.
IMG_0762_zpspaer5tad.jpg

IMG_0763_zpse1n6snm8.jpg

IMG_0822_zps36nre2au.jpg

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 16589

Re: Got my 561nm module

8.34mW :drool:
Your sheet says its continuous wave that's interesting they chose to pulse mine.

Razako

8.34mW :drool:
Your sheet says its continuous wave that's interesting they chose to pulse mine.
Mine actually seems pulsed too. IDK why they call it CW. It's not actually a huge issue to me though. I think pulsed lasers are pretty cool sometimes.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Sweet module, and 8.34mW! Glad to see it made it to you safe and sound. :beer:
This really makes me wish our 561nm G.B. had worked out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

Mine actually seems pulsed too. IDK why they call it CW. It's not actually a huge issue to me though. I think pulsed lasers are pretty cool sometimes.

If you can at some point Check to see how mode stable it is.
See if it behaves like mine.

Pman

Dang I wish the pic showed the color. What was the $ damage from that?

Razako

Alright so here's where I need a little DIY advice. I've drilled out the heatsink that normally screws into the RPL to the point where this module can fit through it. Now I have some questions.
-Do I wanna secure it into place with arctic alumina thermal adhesive?
-Will this be enough heatsinking for the module? The aluminum heatsink around the module then screws into the body of the RPL host to draw heat away.
-Anything else important I should know for this step?
IMG_0764_zpswvqnzngn.jpg

Last edited:

heat sink the driver chip that generate heat....(cause they have built in features. that if the chip get hot the output will decrease..)

i wonder if coating the case with thermal adhesive will prevent it from making a solid connection to the host case?( adhesive are non electrical conductive while the case is +....

tru to take the picture on a dark surface without lighting it ma make the camera pick up more yellow. or put it next to another green.

Last edited:

Razako

heat sink the driver chip that generate heat....(cause they have built in features. that if the chip get hot the output will decrease..)

i wonder if coating the case with thermal adhesive will prevent it from making a solid connection to the host case?( adhesive are non electrical conductive while the case is +....

tru to take the picture on a dark surface without lighting it ma make the camera pick up more yellow. or put it next to another green.
The case connection isn't such a big issue as the laser has a + lead coming off the module anyway. I could just link that into the host anywhere and be fine.

D

Deleted member 16589

Its DPSS so its case positive that plus for pen builds.
How do you like the color. I was disappointed a tad at first by how green it looked but Now I would not trade this for anything :D.
If I put it next to my 488nm i swear it looks yellow o_O

Razako

Its DPSS so its case positive that plus for pen builds.
How do you like the color. I was disappointed a tad at first by how green it looked but Now I would not trade this for anything :D.
If I put it next to my 488nm i swear it looks yellow o_O
To my eyes it actually looks decently yellow. It's not a golden yellow like 589 though. It's like a yellow which is closer to green.

This is where I run into problems though. Apparently the module won't fit into my planned host without modification because the driver board goes so far back. I would need to drill into the inside of the host, but then I lose my battery contact board. Uhg.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

To my eyes it actually looks decently yellow. It's not a golden yellow like 589 though. It's like a yellow which is closer to green.

This is where I run into problems though. Apparently the module won't fit into my planned host without modification because the driver board goes so far back. I would need to drill into the inside of the host, but then I lose my battery contact board. Uhg.

:(
Go with a cr2 pen build then :D
I'm still debating on my build TEC cooled Lab or Pen. If I do a pen I'm gonna make a solid knurled Anodized host. Maybe some groves to put glow in the dark vials in or something.

Razako

Well..
The good is I've got it heatsinked decently and I managed to avoid breaking anything. The bad is my portable host idea didn't go so well. I've basically just made a funky looking lab laser(the module was just too damn long lol). I might just try to put this assembly in a project box like I originally planned on. Either that, or I'll need to look into having somebody machine a totally custom host for me.

I've also got around to measuring the current draw from the two AAA batteries I'm using. It draws around .7 amps from two brand new AAA's. It rapidly kills these batteries and after around 15 min of runtime the voltage fell to around 2.2 volts and the laser noticeably started dropping in output. I suspect that AAA's are somewhat insufficient for this laser.

I do have some better pictures now.
This one shows the color the best. It's like a 'radioactive' looking greenish yellow.
IMG_0769_zps69iwpjqf.jpg

IMG_0776_zpspufrzqkn.jpg

Here's a comparison between 515nm, 532nm and 561nm. A full spectrum of green lasers. The 515nm looks almost blue in this picture and the 561 still looks greener to the camera than it does to my eyes.
IMG_0783_zpszp15bgoi.jpg

Last edited: