Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

55mW Green Laser saftey questions

I have a friend giving me a 55mW green laser from Dragon Lasers (Viper series) in a couple weeks and I figured that it would be best to educate myself on the dangers. I did a lot of research but came out with more questions than answers but everything seems to say DANGER DANGER. I will be getting goggles but I want to know the dangers that this possess to people around me who don't have goggles.

A few things I have learned. 5mw is limit for brief direct eye exposure, if the 55mw gets exposed to the eye for even a brief moment, is the damage instantaneous and permanent? Or does the damage usually heal after a few days. I know no amount of exposure is ok, but I want to know the magnitude of danger this "toy" possesses.

The laser reflecting off of reflective surfaces seems like the biggest threat due these surfaces being everywhere. I've read a lot of how dangerous this is but are these dangers still present in a 55mW laser? Is it safe, for example to look at the reflected light of a 55mw off of a road sign for a brief second without goggles? I know it depends on the surface but on average, would staring at a reflection of a 55mw (like off silverware) be dangerous?

Thanks for your time. I realize no exposure is ok for such high powered devices but most of the articles I read mention >100mW as the more dangerous and none really mention 55 as being dangerous. I know it is still dangerous but how dangerous is it really in practical layman terms?

EDIT: I just read site which stated safety goggles are not needed for 50-55mw lasers with proper care, is this true?

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"would staring at a reflection of a 55mw (like off silverware) be dangerous? "

YES.

"I just read site which stated safety goggles are not needed for 50-55mw lasers with proper care, is this true?"

If you're playing with your new toy indoors, I would say no. Outside, pointing the beam into the sky or `dotting' distant objects, The risk is minimal but real. I play with my greenies outdoors regularly but indoors I'm very careful. The worst laser hit my eyes have ever taken was a reflection off the cover of a paperback book (shiny cover) from my 445 blue. It scared the crap outta me and I got goggles religion after that.

Thanks for the info Wizard. I guess 55mw is not as dangerous as I thought. I will avoid direct eye contact but accidental brief exposure seems ok as long as it's not direct and very brief.

DJNY

To look at the dot while shining such a laser on a wall for example isn´t that dangerous.

As long as you don´t do it from 1feet and don´t stare at it eben if it hurts, you´re fine :)

My eyes tend to get tired, like watching a bright tv at the end of a long day, very fast if I don't wear my goggles and are playing with it indoors. My 50mW 532nm that is. My walls are lighter colors though so it somewhat reflects.

Outdoors I dont have any problems unless it's anywhere near the cars in my back yard, then i'll get some reflections and need the goggles. (I try to do this preemptively)

Just a tip, Make sure to always take the batteries out before you do any work or cleaning on your laser. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A SIDE CLICKY STYLE!
I've had some close calls... If a 5mw hurts to get shined in the eye with think of something 10X that.

There's no question that these lasers can damage your eyes. You should definitely wear goggles inside. I'm sure, like any normal house, yours is packed full of reflective material. One small mistake could quite easily mean irreversible eye damage.

Why take any risks?

Agreed. Always wear goggles, especially on lasers over 5mW. Looking at the dot of a 55mW laser up close is no good

I tried looking at the dot of a 60mw green from about 50ft away. It was very hard on the eyes so I'm not trying it again without goggles.