Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

532 Rayfoss laser / physical break ?

hello there, im slightly new to the laser inner working, eventhough i played and loved em for a couple of year...

well heres the question:

i bought a laser on ebay, and after some research i "determined" it was a rayfoss 200mw 532 handheld laser

well i played with it and had fun, but i suspect that one day it stayed lit in my bag (i use a strap to keep it powered on) and the strap has left open... anyway)

i come back home and the laser dont work, so i recharge the battery... still nothing....

i began by taking it appart.... and found out a physical break:

heres a picture to better explain....

IMG00073-20101021-1459.jpg

IMG00072-20101021-1416.jpg

so the big question is... What can i do with this... i paid 150 for it so its a bit frustrating... lol

can it be repaired ?, can i use the housing and use another module ?
rayfoss told me they could have a look at it, but i dont trust shipping things over china (its like a 150$ check randomly flying around....)

thanks for your support
Sam

Last edited:

rayfoss told me they could have a look at it, but i dont trust shipping things over china (its like a 150$ check randomly flying around....)

IMO, if rayfoss told you that they would check it out, then that's what I would do.

I claim that there is no element of "random flying around" involved in shipping, but that's just my opinion. :)

hello there, im slightly new to the laser inner working, eventhough i played and loved em for a couple of year...

well heres the question:

i bought a laser on ebay, and after some research i "determined" it was a rayfoss 200mw 532 handheld laser

well i played with it and had fun, but i suspect that one day it stayed lit in my bag (i use a strap to keep it powered on) and the strap has left open... anyway)

i come back home and the laser dont work, so i recharge the battery... still nothing....

i began by taking it appart.... and found out a physical break:

heres a picture to better explain....

IMG00073-20101021-1459.jpg

IMG00072-20101021-1416.jpg

so the big question is... What can i do with this... i paid 150 for it so its a bit frustrating... lol

thanks for your support
Sam

Sam,
My advice is to just keep it and use it for parts & experimenting.
How much is it for a brand new one?
I bet another of this same model from rayfoss is less than $60.
It's going to cost you at least $20 to send it back, more if you want to have tracking and proof of delivery, then more to ship it back. If they just look at it for free and don't do anything, you're looking at $40 or more by the time you pay return shipping.
Just cut your losses and use the parts in a home built project or something and order another one or better yet order a better laser altogether if you're in the hobby for the long run.

well i would use it for another project,if it at least opened...
but it is PHYSICALLY broken, i mean, it wont open, seems like the base is completly separated... and since i dont know much about inner working... what to do ?
the only good thing remaining n it is the host.... the driver probably died from heat (stayed on too long), the coloured lens has broke from the rest of the module....

i would be willing to buy another module to strip it in.... but that would include that i know how to dismount the module....:huh:

ordering another one... yeah, but thats still 150$ worth laser laying there whitout any use.... (if only a beam went out of it .... ?) and a 200mW green laser isnt as cheap as 60$.... isnt it ? lol

sry, this got me a bit on stress.... its broken and im seeking on how can i make it work again xD

i would be willing to buy another module to strip it in.... but that would include that i know how to dismount the module....

I agree that replacing the module might be the best solution here, and if you don't feel that you want to replace it yourself, you could send it to one of the pro's here at LPF, I'm sure there are at least a few folks here who would be willing to build it for you. ;)

I agree that replacing the module might be the best solution here, and if you don't feel that you want to replace it yourself, you could send it to one of the pro's here at LPF, I'm sure there are at least a few folks here who would be willing to build it for you. ;)

thanks a lot for the offer, although i'm willing on learning how (this laser cannot get worst after all...) i just might have to dig around my place for tools =)

the main question is how can i identify / find on internet for module for that specific laser housing ? and how to take it appart completly (it seems pressfit)

sorry a bit of a noob there, but we all have been noob one day =P

No chance of a repair without a lot of patience and/or expensive equipment.

The part that's broken off is the crystal set responsible for generating 532nm green light.

Without it, you get no green and only infrared.

All that'd be useful now is the driver, and maybe the pump diode too.

Just buy a new one.

thanks a lot for telling me what was broken =)

so basically i buy another green module the same size, swap em, and put the battery back, that would work ?

or i need a new housing and module and all ?

Yes, this laser should take any 12mm diameter module with a removable lens.

i.e. These ones:

200mw-1.jpg

See how it comes apart in the middle and has a threaded head? Those are the sort you need.

If you're patient, and have 808nm goggles, you could try aligning the crystal set. But it wouldn't be worth the time.

wow thanks for your precise answer =O

its a good thing theres module for replacement, put my mind at rest a bit =)
so, i need a new module set, basically id have to remove the one thats inside,

im not sure wether i need to push, pull or twist to unscrew.... but now seeing the module itself makes me understand more of the inner workin =D

so basically the crystal is inside the module, and i got half the module stuck in the laser and the outer (lens + broken crystal) half removed ?

how can i take the inside apppart withouth breaking the threading or the case ?

thanks a lot =D

(EDIT)
I looked around on laserlands, Rayfoss and i couldnt find laser module other than 200mw....
and i was looking for another colour like a 50-100mw violet/blue laser....
its gonna be less expensive i think to slap in another coloured module than to buy a green one, (especially that for a 200mw module its 80 dollar, and a 200MW laser torch is around 120$.... eh....)
so i was thinking about finding a violet blue laser in this torch, and later ill buy a nice powerfull green one =D

so what you guys recommend ? im not too sure and i dont feel like ordering a module that wont fit eh xD
or if any pros are passing by, how much would you charge for puttig in a violet module ? (if thing is possible ?)

Last edited: