Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

52x CD-RW or 20x DVD-RW?

Mptp

Heya,

My [user]name is Mptp, and for now, I'll probably stick to using that. =D
I've been lurking these forums for a while now, learning what I can, and now it's time to post, I guess.
I hate to make my first post as a request, but I've done a little reading, and I doubt that I'll be able to help anyone or offer useful experience/conversation until I've at least built my first laser.

I live in Australia, so it's necessary for me to get my diode out of a burner, and I'm not sure which is my best option.
I have access to a 20x DVD-RW burner, and a 52x CD-RW burner. From what I understand, the DVD-RW burner will have a shorter wavelength than the CD-RW, but even though the speed of the CD-RW burner is much higher than that of the DVD-RW, from what I've read, the power output won't be much different.
I couldn't find any direct comparison of these two types of LD, so I suppose my question is if I had to take apart one of these two burners (I sort of have to choose), which one is my best bet?

Thanks. (I'll try to be more helpful once I've built my laser. =])

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
(2713-2000-23)
Jerry

Last edited: