Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw LEDShoppe Green Laser

jfp999

I just received my 50mw green laser. I"m not sure how bright 50mw is supposed to be but I was slightly disappointed. I used the batteries it came with. That might be why I was disappointed as the batteries weren't brand name. I tested it at about 4:20 PM EST in New York. The dot was a little bit bright but I will test again at night with new batteries to see if I can see the beam. At 50mw, there should be a beam right? And I don't plan to burn anything until I get safety glasses.
EDIT: Also I plan to get pictures at night.

AndyR

The beam of a 50 mW should be very visible at night. Depending on the light / air conditions, you may not be able to see it at all - such as during broad daylight or in a brightly lit room. A busy city can also create a lot of light pollution that may also block out the beam.

Try turning off all the lights in a room and shining it on a wall. Sharpie a balloon black and shine the laser on the black spot from up close. If you don't have safety glasses, try closing your eyes. This isn't a very accurate way of testing power, but if it pops the balloon it should be at least 50 mW.

Cool Dude:D Glad you finaly got it in, told you shipping time wouldnt be that bad. If you used it outside at 4:30 then you wouldnt see a beam and barely the dot. Even my viper outside in sunlight isnt very visible. Try it indoors lights off/dark room ect.. And a try a balloon pop, however if you dont have glasses yet, point at the balloon and close your eyes before you hit it, then listen for a pop. Inflated balloons can cause some nasty reflections, even black ones...

EDIT: Hey, I helped you pick it, so if your still disappointed after some more tests, I will meter it for you free and take a pic of the results then send it back to you, then if it is underspec you can exchange/return it:)

Last edited:

jfp999

I put in new batteries and tried it at night. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! IT WAS AWESOME! The dot was very bright. The beam although not solid bright green, it was more of a dull green, the beam was complete with no breakages with tiny bright specks around it. I do not believe a popping test is necessary. And for the picture, it may come later as my mom doesn't like me with the laser at all. My brother and I thought it was awesome and wanted my dad to come out but my mom was like your dad doesn't like the idea of a laser at all but my dad walked anyways and was like AWESOME. lol. Mom didn't want me to bring a camera out at all so when my mom is more comfortable with the laser, I'll get a picture. And thanks for the help for choosing a laser, King Dave.

No problem, Im glad that I had the opportunity to help you out, and I hope your new laser lasts and brings you alot of fun and enjoyment:D
Most of all be safe, watch for anything shiny and for airplanes/helicopters.
After you've had it for a while your parents will chill out and you can do more cool things with it! I hope that you find the laser hobby/world just as interesting and fun as it is for me. If you have anymore questions or need some help, shoot me a PM, i'd be happy to help you out:)

I've bought and tested 2 of those from LED Shoppe. One was averaging at 50mW and peaked at 60mW, the other one averages 35mW and peaked at 40mW. They're a good buy.

-Tony

jfp999

It doesn't really seem like 50mw to me. I tried closing all the blinds in my room and I could see the faintest beam like it was barely there and the occasional spark of light from a dust particle passing by. I put my hand in front of it and I felt the slightest warmth which may actually be caused by the placebo effect...
EDIT: I'll see if I can get some balloons later.

It's probably not 50mW then. I can faintly see the beam on my 20mW green pointer in a semi dark room. Send LED Shoppe an email, or try your luck and buy another. But the two I got were great.

-Tony

i deal with led shoppe alot....im sure you have around a 20mw pointer...i buy lots from them...im buying 6 more soon i could get you a free one if you like.....a 50mw is visable in low light for sure.. my lasers take 4days to arrive i can put in notes to send extra...

jfp999

My dad's might get some balloons so I can test if it can pop it but a free 50mw laser? That is really generous... Sounds too good to be true. I don't mean to offend you but that's a bit too generous for a stranger. They'll give you an extra 50mw laser for free just because you put it in the notes?

too generous yes!!!!! ive gotten that alot here lately... thing is ive bought so many from them they never ask why......i have recieved underspec. 50s from them so i do ask in notes to add one just about everytime....anyways i will pm you when i recieve them..

jfp999

If you can send me a on spec one, that'd be awesome. PM me when you get them and besides how many do you buy at a time?
EDIT: Do you live in the US?

Last edited:
yes, it says he lives in cleveland, Tennesee.

Dont be surprised about the offer, there are ALOT of great people here that would do similar things! Generaly the senior members here are very heplful and will go out of their way for others. Somebody even offered to harvest a diode for me that I was having trouble with, free.

jfp999

Do I have to pay for shipping or something? O and if you actually do want to send it to me, i still have to get parents approval... That'll be hard.
But I'll try to appeal to them saying the laser's free.
EDIT: I'm a class one laser now! :)

Last edited:

oikos

Do I have to pay for shipping or something? O and if you actually do want to send it to me, i still have to get parents approval... That'll be hard.
But I'll try to appeal to them saying the laser's free.
EDIT: I'm a class one laser now! :)

congrats! :beer: