Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw green laser diode

ok i have a dx true 50mw, that mode hopped.
i know its powered by a red diode, but if the laser is 50mw green, How much power would the red diode be ? or is the diode an ir one?
Also will i be able to salvage anything off the laser? Thanks

The green laser is produced with an IR diode that pumps a set of crystals to make green light. The IR diode would be fairly powerful, but it's not visible as it is IR.

pullbangdead said:
The green laser is produced with an IR diode that pumps a set of crystals to make green light. The IR diode would be fairly powerful, but it's not visible as it is IR.
well so i could make an laser with the ir diode?
so i can just remove the crystal and then have a burning laser thats invisible ?

Theoretically you could, you would get probably ~300mw of 808nm (IR), but the optics meant for green will not collaminate IR that well.

IgorT

Since your DX50 is a "True" model, it actually has a 9mm 0.5W pump diode inside, which takes up to 700mA of current.
It's basically the same as the DX200, but had a lower output, so it's sold as a 50.

This thing can burn a black floppy even when it is hardly collimated. But it can burn your eyes even faster.
If you don't buy IR goggles, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do.

Otherwise, the beam has horrible characteristics. It's not oval like the reds. The diode projects a big flat "bar" of IR. It would be very hard to collimate it, and i doubt you could turn it into a tiny spot for burning. What it lacks the most is a fast axis lens, which would be hard to find.

You could try different collimator lenses. But only observe the output through a camera and with eye protection!

IgorT said:
Since your DX50 is a "True" model, it actually has a 9mm 0.5W pump diode inside, which takes up to 700mA of current.
It's basically the same as the DX200, but had a lower output, so it's sold as a 50.

This thing can burn a black floppy even when it is hardly collimated. But it can burn your eyes even faster.
If you don't buy IR goggles, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do.

Otherwise, the beam has horrible characteristics. It's not oval like the reds. The diode projects a big flat "bar" of IR. It would be very hard to collimate it, and i doubt you could turn it into a tiny spot for burning. What it lacks the most is a fast axis lens, which would be hard to find.

You could try different collimator lenses. But only observe the output through a camera and with eye protection!
so how would i make a lser out of it?
and does anybody want to buy it ? for 20

No its not, it modehops. $8 + ship is my final offer, take it or leave it. Id most likely gut it.

Razako

You really should take the $8 offer. There is no way you are going to sell a mode hopping dx laser for much more. You could always try "not scamming" one of your friends with it. I'm sure they wouldn't even know what mode hopping is.

spyrorocks said:
Actually, heres another offer: Ill give you $28.00 worth of wickedbucks for it.
hmm. so what all can i buy thats on Wl thats 28$??
and how many Wl bucks is it exactly ?
Either that or $12+ 4$shipping

Razako

Wesdaman14 said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1207839493/0#10 date=1207853683]Actually, heres another offer: Ill give you $28.00 worth of wickedbucks for it.
hmm. so what all can i buy thats on Wl thats 28$??
and how many Wl bucks is it exactly ?
Either that or $12+ 4$shipping[/quote]
28 wb will almost get you some red blocking goggles from wl that you can use with your red burners.

Ace82

IgorT said:

I believe this is incorrect.  The DX 100, 150 & 200 use a completely different driver and open-can diode then those less then that.   http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/browseCustomerPhotos.dx/sku.1997~id.4036

Be careful while messing around with your diode.  The invisible IR can damage your eyes without you even noticing it.  What i did to my DX 150 was I took the crystal and collimator off of a DX 5 module, then retrofitted it onto the 150 because I had focus/mode problems on my 150.  You shouldn't have any problem unscrewing the brass fittings from a DX 5 module and screwing it back onto your DX 50.  It might help.  I had to break the glue holding the first lens off and re-align it using superglue and a tooth pick.  

Oh yeah, the title is a little misleading! I was thinking there was a new invention or something! lol ;D