Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW aiXiz Green Labby

daguin

[highlight]**HUGE EDIT** It looks like aixiz has changed the unit at the below link. It no longer comes with the power cord and box for the driver board (as of at least 7/4/08) It is still usable from mains power but no longer has the power cord with it. Here is a shot of the new unit.[/highlight]

a542_3.jpg

971a_3.jpg

[highlight]You can see that the unit NOW needs to be wired to a mains power cord. The mains connection is the larger connection on your left in the picture above. The connection for TTL is on your right in the picture above (the smaller connection) This is NOT the same driver board as the one I reviewed. I have NOT tested the unit pictured above.[/highlight]

Some of you have probably figured out that I am starting to explore scanner, etc. I saw this on eBay and decided to take a chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360057689635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023

(quotation from the auction)
These are OEM produced units for one of our major customers. Due to their requirement changes, these units are now available as a "used" unit although they are brand new.

The units are rated at 50mw 532nm with 90-240VAC and TTL modulation control. The power level is variable in the 0-80mw range although we cannot guarantee the exact spread or level.
(end quote)

It cost me $65 plus $5 shipping

The unit arrived today. It was packages well enough to protect it. The heatsink and diode module unit was still wrapped in it's anti-static bag and taped tightly. It did NOT look like it had been disturbed. The unit does indeed look to be new. The power cord is 4 feet long and the wires between the power source and the module are about 14 inches long. The TTL leads are just 6 inches long.

The unit has a pot that is easily accessible, but I have not messed with it (yet) ;) The unit powered up with no problem.

Here it is.
grlabby1.jpg

Here is the power output straight out of the package;
grlabby2.jpg

It "peaks at about 120mW and then settles quickly down to 98mW where it stays rock steady. It showed no heating after about 3 minutes.

Here is the obligatory beam shot. It is the middle of the day here. There is NO smoke or other visualizers in the air.
grlabby3.jpg

All-in-all a very happy man is typing this. This is $70 for almost 100mW of very steady labby. It looks like they have 45 more ;)

Peace,
dave

Excellent job ! I am VERY GLAD you did not go with Extreme lasers - they are scammy jackasses - glad it works so well, too ! :)

Holy crap! I am so going to buy one of these for my scanner project too. Nice find daguin!

Now that's a nice acquisition. Hmmm still some left... neh need a blu-ray first.

they use the same housings as the DX "50/100mw" lab modules - i wonder if the crystals and diode are the same as well

daguin

MarioMaster said:
they use the same housings as the DX "50/100mw" lab modules - i wonder if the crystals and diode are the same as well

Are you talking about an older DX model? I just looked at the ones at DX. They look very different to me.

Peace,
dave

Thanks for the review, I was thinking about buying one, now I know it's good.

I just bit the bullet and ordered one. I'll test it out when it gets here and let everyone know if it's consistent with daguin's

hmm you're right, they don't seem to carry that style anymore - but does this look familiar?

Attachments

• STA72945.JPG
    STA72945.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 454

daguin

MarioMaster said:
hmm you're right, they don't seem to carry that style anymore - but does this look familiar?

Close, but not . . .

mod.jpg

Square as opposed to beveled edges

Module comes to the surface of the heatsink

Black (the white "spots" are flash artifacts.)

Two separate wires out the back

The power wires and the TTL wires are into the same plug on the board

Is the unit you have from DX 5V or house current?

Peace,
dave

yeah im not saying they're exactly the same but if i screwed out the lens a bit more it would be the same as yours, only things different are the beveled edges, power supply and wiring

Aixiz shops in China, folks....don't believe the crap, "Made in America" It may be MADE here, but all imported parts ! I am sure that heatsink design can be found on quite a few lasers out there - BUT, I am willing to wager that the Aixiz module is of much higher overall quality than anything DX offers.

Benm

Its just a heatsink - they use the same type on all kinds of lasers i guess. What matters is what they put in it, and that seems to be working really well. 98 mW average is excellent, especially considering the price!

daguin

millionaire said:
Hey that laser comes with its own power supply right so its just plug and go.

Yep. 90-240VAC

Just plug and play

Peace,
dave

Just tested mine. Came out stable at 141mW. I don't know what it was out of the box cause I turned it up about 10 seconds after I turned it on.