Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm diodes in use!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

After all the hype over green diodes being finally available in 505 / 515nm a while back, it seems they actually do have a practical use, despite not being ideal for projection.

Flicking through a new Surefire catalog they have a new weapon LED light / laser sight combo with a green laser (X400-GN). Thinking this was simple a 532 DPSS I decided to check it out. Turns out they're using 505nm diodes.

See the (hardly visible because of crappy video) laser at about 0:30

I wonder what the rrp will be considering the new fancy schmancy green diode.(no affiliation to Surefire by the way :D)

EDIT: youtube clip not coming up for me so here's the link just in case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAQ-GVcT6OM

Last edited by a moderator:

I find it funny how the guy is talking about the laser being in the 520-525nm range (wrong) and how he says that it's more visible to the human eye than most lasers (also wrong). Funny stuff

ARG

how he says that it's more visible to the human eye than most lasers (also wrong). Funny stuff

That's right. I don't know what lasers you're talking about but only 594.3nm, 589nm and 532nm are more visible in terms of amount of power for brightness. (Perhaps not the yellows) Then there's all of the IR/Red wavelengths and everything up to 500nm.

More visible to the human eye than most lasers? Yup, it sure is.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that around 505 - 510nm was peak sensitivity for dark adapted vision? (If I'm reading the source right, and it's accurate)
Source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/bright.html

So technically the rep would be right IF hes referring to night time use with the flashlight off, but yeah, I don't think the guy's really into lasers beyond selling the product :p.

Last edited:
That's right. I don't know what lasers you're talking about but only 594.3nm, 589nm and 532nm are more visible in terms of amount of power for brightness. (Perhaps not the yellows) Then there's all of the IR/Red wavelengths and everything up to 500nm.

More visible to the human eye than most lasers? Yup, it sure is.

Compared to 532nm 505nm is not "brighter".

ped

29dvifq.jpg

Fail.

Benm

In low lighting conditions thats perhaps true, but i suppose the main reason for choosing it is:

- more visible per mW compared to blue or red lasers diodes, even 630 nm ones
- not as fragile and temperature sensitive as 532 dpss

I'd say they chose the best LD for the job.

Dam

Scotopic vision this is level of light so low that you can't even see color of that laser...

Everything you see in colors is in photopic range of human vision, this is why 589nm looks brighter than 473nm. It is closer to photopic peak sensitivity of 683lm/W at 555nm If you turn down the intensity of both sources to level when both will look grey, you'd notice how dramatically brighter 473nm frequency is at the same power, becouse it is much closer to the 1700lm/W at 507nm peak.

Scotopic vision is totally dark-adapted vision and even 1-lumen flashlight will immediately destroy it. Always when you can see the colors in the night, scotopic vision goes away.

Last edited:

ARG

Compared to 532nm 505nm is not "brighter".

Obviously... But he didn't say that, he said "compared to most lasers" which is true. If you compare most lasers to 505nm, 505nm will usually be the brighter one.

God... i would love one of these in a handheld :drool:

It has a bluish hue to it and rated 5mW '' or is it ^^ ''

R9J3j.jpg

RpDzf.jpg

I'm sure i got to buy one just for the diode, and send it to a forum member to test it out :D
bet it will do 20mW atleast.

Last edited: