Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

~500mW 445nm Pen style laser - $125

I have a pen laser for sale, it's a custom one I built myself. The module used is pretty special, it's a copper module with an aluminum cap for the back. This cap is custom machined to hug the back of the diode to get as much thermal contact as possible with the case of the diode. As far as I know there are only three of these guys in the wild so they're pretty rare too ;)

blue001.jpg

blue002.jpg

IMG_20110906_230504.jpg

IMG_20110906_235745.jpg

You might notice the button is missing. Don't worry, it's not. I'll explain why I didn't put it on yet later.

So, a few more details.

This laser is running a maxed GrooveV2 so I estimate power output somewhere close to 500mW. The laser uses two 10440 lithium batteries which should get you right under 40 minutes of runtime per charge. (with good 400mAh 10440's) The lens is a regualr aixiz blue lens but that can easily be switched with a G-1 or G-2 lens. This module is not tapped, it's bored and single point threaded which means you will be able to thread the high power lenses in deep enough to focus properly.

Now, about the button...

The groove driver gets rather warm as it is maxed out. While I was putting it together I had no materials readily available to make a heatsink and I was also missing the thermal epoxy. I still put the laser together as I wanted to see how good my module really was. I knew my module would beat the thermal limit of the driver IC so I didn't put the button on as it's a one time stick deal and would have to be removed for dis-assembly.

Right now the laser runs at full power for about 45 seconds before the driver goes into the overheat flicker mode. The host itself hardly gets warm through that whole 45 seconds. I believe I could get runtimes into a couple of minutes safely with a driver heatsink. I have no intentions of installing one anymore myself but if you would like I can install one for you for a small fee. If your more the DIY type I will include a tool to remove the module from the front of the laser. If you try to push the module out from the back you will destroy the driver/switch. I will ask for an extra $25 for a driver heatsink. I will pull the module back out and heatsink the proper chips and reassemble the laser using thermal epoxy between the driver/driver heatsink and module/host joint.

Now a couple more pictures for you TL;DR guys...

blue003.jpg

blue005.jpg

Now the money details... I'm asking for $125 for this laser, with an extra $25 for the extra heatsink options I explained above. Oh, and the little stick on button is included too!

Free tracked uninsured domestic shipping, $5 to any other country untracked and uninsured!

Thanks for looking!!

Just sent you a PM off of the other thread:)

Good luck with the sales on both... god I wish had room for that argon:p

Nice looking pen laser you got there. Do you offer repair service or warranty on the laser in case something happens to it while it is being enjoyed? Also what do you think is the highest power one can expect to attain safely from a 445nm diode in a pen host? A lot of the power limitation has to do with the driver more so than the diode, would you agree? After seeing yours I'm contemplating building one myself.

I'll offer a year warranty on this laser, but if you want the warranty I will make the laser much harder to take apart, so I can tell if someone tried to disassemble it. Right now it's really easy to pull apart, I just thread a special tool into the module and pull while pushing on the driver with some batteries from the backside.

I wouldn't want to run a pen laser much higher than 500mW, (or at least a 445) the driver can be heatsinked to give this laser a longer dyty cycle than it currently has now (driver goes to thermal shutdown after ~45sec) but 10440's are still pretty crappy, much more current draw and they'd be running dangerously close to over their limit. I have seen a few AW 10440's for e-cigarette guys but they were pretty cost restrictive last I'd priced them out, something like $14 each.

The diode/module doesn't get very hot at all, it's hardly much warmer than it's baseline after 45 seconds. The module in this host is a lot better than an aixiz though, a lot lot better!

I'm going to lower the price on this one a little, well not so much lower the price but offer a little more for less. I will take this laser apart and heatsink the driver properly for $125 shipped. After I heatsink the driver I will seal the laser up and offer a 1 year warranty.

I'm also going to add on a special focus ring that matches the rest of the laser. I custom made these a while back, they work the same way as an aixiz focus ring does but they match the appearece of the pen a whole bunch better.

23a52411.jpg

c9915ccf.jpg
[/img]

b8da2158.jpg

I'll also throw in a slip over heatsink, it's a very tight fit so it will scuff the paint up on the host. Should increase running times a bit though, especially with the driver properly heatsinked.

That is an old pen laser and a sharpie "painted" focus adapter. The one that comes with this laser will be painted to match.