Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5000mW 808nm C-Mount

artix

I'm thinking the circuit you need will be a bit larger than your standard sub-miniature drivers. A 5W 808nm C-mount generally requires about 7.0-7.5A of current to run at 5W. There will be a thermal issue on the board if the current control is resistive. If anyone can come up with a small circuit, however, it'll be one of the guys listed above.

disma

If these are the ones from snoctony, they are real close to 1ma to 1mw.... it would probably be a lot closer to 5 amps than 7 for these diodes, but they are all different. My 2w takes almost exactly 2 amps to make 2 watts of light, and its from the same guy... its the laser in my avatar, and there are videos of it in the multimedia section. If you look on the ebay auction page it will tell you the ratings for the diode, look at the efficiency and op current ratings. The operating current rating is usually the maximum current you would ever want to use...

Yeah. Whats the difference here.

Threshold current(mA):?1100

Operating current(mA):?5200

disma

threshold means: "the level of current the most in-efficient of these diodes will ever need to start lasing.", This does not mean that they wont start lasing at a slightly lower level like 900ma... all diodes are different. the 5200ma is stating "the most in-efficient of these diodes will be at 5 watts when a current of 5200ma is used."

I would build my driver to aim for 5000ma or less for one of these. ::)

rkcstr

yup, those opamp/MOSFET drivers (like DrLava's Flexdrive Mod) would probably be best since they can drive high currents and still stay very small, you just need a regulated voltage source. I don't think you're going to find any smaller chip package-type ICs capable of 5A for a tiny driver, that's just WAY too much power for a tiny chip, hence the heatsinked MOSFET.

Another similar driver that can't put out quite as much current:
http://www.die4laser.com/dvd-rec/Die4Drive.htm

artix

disma said:
If these are the ones from snoctony, they are real close to 1ma to 1mw.... it would probably be a lot closer to 5 amps than 7 for these diodes, but they are all different. My 2w takes almost exactly 2 amps to make 2 watts of light, and its from the same guy... its the laser in my avatar, and there are videos of it in the multimedia section. If you look on the ebay auction page it will tell you the ratings for the diode, look at the efficiency and op current ratings. The operating current rating is usually the maximum current you would ever want to use...

Nice! Was that taken with and IR camera?

disma

sort of, It was a cvs one time use camera that I modified to see ir real well, and hacked. I removed the ir filter and replaced it with a visible light filter. It sees ir as well as you can see green. :D

I just hope you're not planning on buying the one off ebay - $420 for just a 5 watt cmount? ouch.

you might want to ask drlava about the flexmod - i forget what the max current for that is though

Here's a fairly simple and cheap solution, but needs lithium battery voltage to run. (4.2v) Get some DX flashlight regulators, these are a negative side regulator and are available in 350, 700, 1050, and 1400 ma sizes. These can be stacked to increase the current. The regulator stack in the attached photo delivers about 5.5 amps. The photo shows how to stack them. The regulator stack is small, 5/8" diameter, 1/2" long.

Attachments

• Sep0308D200_007_1.jpg
    Sep0308D200_007_1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 471