Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500 mw green??

Trevor

There's no way it could be that cheap... my guess is a faked reading and a BR diode?

-Trevor

I sent the seller a message right after I noticed this, I asked him if he was going to have anymore in the future and who the manufacturer is, let's see what he's got to say.

Grix

It's an auction, I don't think the seller intends to sell it that cheap..

Also, did anyone else notice the title says "green" but it's a "blue" diode?

Optical power output (CW): 530mW
Operating current: 650mA
Maximum operating current: 700mA
Peak wavelength: 444nm

if that stuff is true i gotta have it:eek:
i didnt even know there where true blue diodes of that power 500mw of blue would be kickass!

Well, I got an...answer, I guess:

Dear laserlightgeek,

This is a very interesting product, may I ask who manufactured it and if you will have more in the future?

Dear **********,

To buy this device directly from the manufacturer it would cost more than $1000. There is only one manufacturer making a 450nm, 500mW blue laser diode. I have 20 now and can get more. I assure you it is very high quality not Chinese.

- laserlightgeek

His pricing seems right, at least, if it's true. But, notice how he states "450nm" in the answer, but the listing clearly says "444nm".

Last edited:

Morgan

Interesting indeed.

The pinouts are certainly bluray stylee. That cut off leg is a bit suspicious though. Wouldn't a diode from the manufacturer be intact? Even if it was harvested I would expect the legs to be of similar length.

450nm? Awfully close to a 405nm typo!

M
:)

I've never harvested a bluray, but are the leads that long in a bluray drive? I thought they were trimmed down and nowhere near that long.

Also don't diodes shift their wavelength a little, maybe that is why it says peak wavelength, it shifts from 450 to 444. I think that could be possible seeing as how 635 diodes shift to 640.

Temperature shifts usually occur under extreme conditions, and a 6nm change is nearly an 18* temperature shift, not exactly common. While some diodes are naturally above or below their rated wavelength, I wouldn't count on that as the reason for the inconsistency.

Edit: Also, you're right, normally leads on harvested diodes are much shorter, those resemble the pins on 9mm diodes more than a harvested 5.6mm

Last edited:

Morgan

Well, I asked the seller a leading question. I asked the noob question...

"Dear laserlightgeek,

Hi there,

Is this a diode from a bluray drive? I've been looking to build a bluray burner using the Kipkay flashlight hack. Will this one be okay from 2 AA batteries?

M"

The answer came back...

"No bluray is 405nm."

I might be willing to go in to see what these things are. Risky but maybe it's worth it.

M

Trevor

Well, I asked the seller a leading question. I asked the noob question...

"Dear laserlightgeek,

Hi there,

Is this a diode from a bluray drive? I've been looking to build a bluray burner using the Kipkay flashlight hack. Will this one be okay from 2 AA batteries?

M"

The answer came back...

"No bluray is 405nm."

I might be willing to go in to see what these things are. Risky but maybe it's worth it.

M

He said that no Blu-ray is 405nm? I'm now more skeptical of this listing...

-Trevor

Damien

No reserve... I suspect as the auction progresses we'll understand why.