Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*50 mW* ebaser  

Hello I’m new to lasers and this is my first post in this forum. I saw this very generic *50mW* green laser on eBay and thought I might as well see weather eBay deserves the bad rep that it gets and besides its only costing me $60 Australian inc delivery. It should be here by the 16th and I’m wondering if people are interested in reviews on eBay lasers. I’ve seen lots of reviews of WL and stuff (many bad ones) and thought that not many people seem to take an interest in the real bottom end, lowest of the low eBay lasers (maybe people have learned their lesson because they’re SOOO bad :p).

One thing I’m concerned about however is many people commenting on the non visible wavelengths that are emitted from cheap lasers. Just wondering if these are valid concerns, and if so what can I do to minimize the danger of blinding myself just before a major physics exam! Should I avoid any close work (attempting to burn stuff although as its from eBay I think this is unlikely) or white walls or such? Anyway any information will be great, especially since u all seem to be pretty knowledgeable people [ch61514].

Re: *50 mW* ebaser  

it very could be a 50 mw laser but im guessing since its so cheap is that probably wont have an IR filter which means its 50 mw with green and IR put together but it could be up to 50 percent IR or more. so yes it is very unlikely it will burn. Good luck with it and i hope it is an acutal 50 mw of green.

yeah i imagined that it would not all be green, but what do i need to do to avoid damaging my eyes with the IR?

you could take the IR filter out of a cheap webcam and put it into the laser.

Thats a pretty good idea though i don't have a web cam :( ummm for IR would the amount that reflects off say a brick wall be hazardous at a few meters?

S

SenKat

Beyond a few centimeters, you will be safe ! IR is absorbed by most surfaces, so as long as you play it safe, you will be fine - don;t aim your laser at a mirror within two centimeters, and let it bounce back into your eyes - that would be bad ! :cool: