Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5-80mw Laser Physics Argon Ion Review(Picture Heavy).

alf638

Ok, this is my first review so bare with me. I recently ordered a 5-80mw adjustable ArIon laser from timelablasers A.K.A Rob. He was great throuhout the entire buying process and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to buy lasers. The laser arrive the day after it was sent in a nice big box:yh:. Inside it was packaged fantastically with foam and heaps of newspaper
145.jpg

After all the newspaper was removed.
147.jpg

And the laser, now for some fun:eg:
148.jpg

149.jpg

Heres a front and back view of the laser, it weighs around 10kg. Next I powered it up:D I plugged it in, screwed in the remote interlock, inserted the key, plugged in the cord and turned the key. Straight away the fan started up, it sounds a little like a vacum cleaner:yh:
About thirty seconds later I heard a click as the tube triggered and a brilliant beam shot forth. I turned up the output potentiometer to full and was amazed. The color isn't really captured in the photos, they are much more blue than the real color which is more of a cyan green color. But the photos still look pretty cool although the actual color looks much cooler.:cool:
263.jpg

245.jpg

255.jpg

Theres some of the best beam shots, now for some "different" types of photos.
170.jpg

A glass of water from above.
169.jpg

The reflection from a CD.
172.jpg

And an odd prism belonging to my sister.:shhh:
And as for burning power, it smokes dark objects, pops baloons, cuts baloon plastic slowly and almost lights matches (they smoke like mad and make little flashes.
As this is my first review please post constructive criticism and if it's any good don't hesitate to leave positive rep ;)
All in all it's a great laser, I highly recomend it to anyone looking for a good laser for begginers and more experienced laserists alike.

P.S if the photos don't work sorry, it's my first review and i'll fix them.:yh:
P.P.S YAY 50 POSTS:yh:

Last edited:

Very Cool!
Got to love those Gas Lasers!!
Thanks for fixin' up the pictures, and have fun with your new toy!:beer:

Escher

Beautiful! I'm counting the minutes until my 2214-40ML arrives this Thursday from Dave!!!

Thanks for the pics - I'm living vicariously through you! More More!!!

Is this a single or multiline model?

alf638

Udanis: Thanks for fixing the pictures, could you please tell me how you did it because as you can see it didn't work for me:( What I did is I put the photos on photobucket (along with around 120 more less-good ones), then used the direct link in the picture button.
532: Yeah, It's the first gas laser i've used or even seen. I was amazed at the beam quality and the color, puts those diode lasers to shame;)
Escher: I know what you mean, I actually set up a whole laser web in my room using many mirrors but I couldn't get any good photos;( As far as I know the laser is singleline but I do have limited gas laser experience but beam wont split with any of my prisms and it's first owner; Monash university, used it as a monochromatic light source so I guess it's singleline. I wonder what they'd say if they knew it was now in the hands of a fourteen year old...:eg:

udanis

Udanis: Thanks for fixing the pictures, could you please tell me how you did it because as you can see it didn't work for me:( What I did is I put the photos on photobucket (along with around 120 more less-good ones), then used the direct link in the picture button.

Most of the pictures had an extra http:// in them, second one or two were using html.

alf638

Udanis: Thanks heaps i'll try to fix them now, I tried some with html because direct link wasn't working, but we know why now;)
Ped: Thanks, it's my favourite laser so far. Also, the Tesla coils referenced in your signature sound pretty awsome, I am making one at the moment and I just need the copper pipe for the primary and the NST both of which I should be getting in the next few weeks.

vk2fro

that laser is a single line laser - look closely at my avatar and you can see me using the one I recently sold :) it will produce 488nm laser beams only.

Scatter it with a CD (the reflective side that is normally read by the cd players laser) and a multline laser will show up its different wavelengths.